Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |

Building a dance floor over a pool.

As the title suggests, I would like to build a dance floor over my in-ground pool for our wedding at the end of this month. Since I want this to be as safe as possible, I figured I'd better ask for some suggestions. Here is the situation:

The pool is 12' wide by 40' long. Ideally I would like the dance floor to cover 30' of the pool length, leaving the last 10' open for a fountain.

My initial idea was to use 2x10's on 16" centers that are 16' long. This means that each one would hang over the edge of the pool by 2 feet. I would also use 2x10's along the outside, with joist hangers for each beam going across the pool.

Or should I buy I-beams to span the pool and do 20 or so of them on 16" centers?

I would like to avoid supporting beams in the pool, since I don't think they would do much good. The pool has a sand bottom with a liner over it (If you take your heel and stomp really hard multiple times you can dent the bottom of the pool).

For safety's sake we'll assume that the dance floor could be full of people. We're expecting around 200 people at our wedding, so we'll assume very high and say 100 people on this dance floor at the same time.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

airon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Tileguy

The 2X10's would easily handle the 12' span and without some engineering input I would say wouldn't be any different than any other dance floor anywhere. In some cases better.

I would further warn that a substantial handrail would be in order near the fountain.

What does your insurance agent say about this idea? I personally think its a great idea.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

It sounds like a really neat idea, but are you sure you'll have time to execute it with a wedding coming up at the end of the month? Time crunch = stress, not what you want right before your big day.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Mod

Lets see, how many bouncing drunks does it take to bust up the edge of a pool?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #5

Yeah I thought a hand rail near the edge by the fountain might be a good idea, but then again... it might be kind of funny to watch someone fall in.

Time is not an issue. I've got the entire month off, and I figure this will only take a few days to build.

The edge of the pool is concrete, and with the 2 foot overlap on each side, I'd figure it'll be fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How, or were you going to anchor the deck to keep it moving in lateral directions? What about the 10" drop/step around the perimeter?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

As far as the 10" step, I was just going to leave it at that, a step. I guess I could put some kind of rail around the outside, and have an 'entrance' with one step up. I want to avoid that though, because then I would have to build the rail beefy enough for people to lean on, cause I'm sure if it is there people will lean on it.

As far as anchoring the floor so it doesn't move laterally, I hadn't thought about that. I just figured with the weight of the floor itself that it probably wouldn't move?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
As far as the 10" step, I was just going to leave it at that, a step.
I think you would have some serious liability exposure with that step. Ten inches is well outside the parameters of the law and building codes. Assuming alchohol is available to the guests, that step would be a real issue. How about a five inch step all the way around?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I think you would have some serious liability exposure with that step. Ten inches is well outside the parameters of the law and building codes. Assuming alchohol is available to the guests, that step would be a real issue. How about a five inch step all the way around?
Good point.

I'd better build a step all the way around, or build a rail with a step area.
Thank you for the input.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Mod

Apparently you can rent/buy “pool cover dance floors”.
Here’s just one.
http://theeventdepot.com/stage-dance...-in-miami.html
Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #11

If the pool is a sand bottom, I would re-think the 2'-0" bearing points. you will be putting hundreds of pounds of loading within 2'-0" of the edge of you pool. The pool walls may not be designed to handle that kind of direct loading. It may be worth putting the load point at least as far from the edge as the pool is deep. This will allow your loading point to dissipate in a triangular shape that doesn't include your pool wall.

Railings are a good idea, you don't want that expanding dance circle to include people stepping off backwards...ouch...
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Apparently you can rent/buy “pool cover dance floors”.
Here’s just one.
http://theeventdepot.com/stage-dance...-in-miami.html
I wasn't trying to blow your concept apart by the way. I think it a fun idea.

These look kind of cool and I bet the event rental company would know what you needed in terms of liability insurance and so forth.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Tileguy

I'll bet Spokane would have such a thing to rent and a rental may give the rental company all of the liability exposure. Besides what will happen to the materials when the event has passed and it all must be taken apart.

The mileage may kick your butt but you never know. You could probably go get it yourself and return it afterward. Then you would have to add the cost of gas for two two hundred-mile round trips but still might be a washout in cost.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #14

im-n-s-h-fo, liability would still attach to the renter/property owner,,, deep pockets attract legal action
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (07-05-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #15

I'm planning on doing the same thing in November. How did this turn out? How did you end up building it? I'm still trying to come up with ideas to engineer something like this. I called a company that rents out dance floors to go over pools and it looks like it would cost at least a couple thousand dollars to rent.

UCFWill2007 is offline   Reply With Quote