Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Share |

Building a coffee table, got a question

I'm currently building a coffee table for my living room and I came across this occaisional table at Bobs Discount Furniture:

I REALLY like the inside design below the glass and I would like to replicate it on my table, does anybody have any idea what kind of material that is? It looks like possibly a marble or tile, although it also looks like it's all one piece almost. Any ideas? Here's a closer up picture:

Thanks guys

aberrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #2

It could be marble, or some man made version thereof.

You could try asking Bob's who the manufacturer is, or who it's sold through and try to research the material suppliers they have. I've found that often if you try to contact someone in a company outside of their customer service reps, they'll often tell you quite alot about their products and where they get their parts. Ask the customer service reps to give you the contact information of the manufacturing managers or materials purchasing agent

Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steeler99 For This Useful Post:
aberrant (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
DIY staff

That's a marble.I'll bet-----The Chinese have perfected a technique of gluing very thin slices of marble over particle board--who would have thought--

I've had to cut the "Marble" tops on a couple of vanities from Lowes--There it was--thin bits of marble over particle board---really nasty to cut perfectly----Mike---
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

Thanks Steeler, I just got off the phone with Bobs they said it's a Faux Marble Veneer Finish with tempered glass. Guess now I just have to figure out where to find Faux marble veneer.
aberrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Buying the first round

Why don't you go to your local stone fabricator with the dimensions you need and pic out a remnant piece of REAL marble. They will be happy to accommodate you.

Or, use a piece of high pressure laminate. They make every color, pattern, texture under the sun.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Lier is right...my first job out of school was a project manager for a marble/granite supplier and fabricator. You can often find one in your area, call a high end contractor, tell em what you're doing...and they'll tell you where to go.

Also, you can usually find deals on remnant or "yard stock" pieces...and don't let em kid you on the price. Here's how that goes. The customer pays for the entire slab when they're buying huge countertops. The supplier tells em that they nobody will ever buy the remaining pieces because you can't match two slabs of marble or granite unless they're from the same lot.

Then they try to resell the already paid for pieces obviously.

So, if ya get a really high price from the salespeople, wait til the end of the day friday...catch the warehouse manager on his way out. More often than not, he's way underpaid...he doesn't care about those left over pieces because he can't use them for any large projects...slip him some loot, and he'll cut it set his machine to run as he walks out on friday afternoon...and comes in to a done piece on monday mornin.

That's the best piece of advice I can give ya on that.

Downside of marble...it's fragile and won't support it's own weight when laid down, difficult to clean as it has often has open cracks in it...and that's going to be quite a heavy table. It'll definitely take two people to lift it reasonably
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Stairguy

they call that formica where im from
Millertyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #8

marble for a coffee table? i put too much crap on it to use marble. high maintenance

federer is offline   Reply With Quote