DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Building Cedar Fence on top of Retaining Wall

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tonio 
#1 ·
I'm replacing a cedar fence that sits on top of a 5-6 foot high concrete retaining wall. The cedar fence that is there now has been in place since 1960 and the construction of the fence is such -- when the concrete for the retaining wall was poured steel hollow pipes were embidded into the concrete. These steel pipes than had cedar 2x4's constructed around the steel pipes which made up the fence posts. I'v had fence builders out for quotes. One of them says to keep the steel pipes and the ones that are rusted through he would drill them out and replace them with another steel pipe set in concrete. Another said to cut all the steel pipes off and to put down saddles what are held down with an industrial epoxy glue. I'm not sure which of these two methods is the best way to go or if there is a third method which would be better.

Tonio

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The steel posts are going to make the fence much stronger than if you use the saddles. They will take more work to do because of the core boring etc. but in the long run you will be much more satisfied with the results. Were the original posts galvanized steel or something else? Depending on how long you're going to be here and your budget you may want to consider stainless steel pipes but definitely use galvanized no matter what.

#3 ·
Msradell, thank you for your response, I believe you are right on all points. I spend yesterday running around to different building supply outlets but no one could give me a diffenent answer as to which would be the best way to proceed. I'm also of the opinion that using the steel pipes as the anchor for the fence posts would make the fence stronger. Will check out the cost on both stainless steel pipes and galvanized. Thanks again for your response.
Tonio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.