DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Building a block wall - how to make base?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
I'm making a block wall in the basement. The current floor is old concrete, it's pitted and a little unlevel.

I was thinking about pouring an inch or two thick base to set the block on. I'm a little worried that it might crack or de-laminate though. I'm also a little unsure how to pour it, since it would be really long and narrow, and the form would have to be secured to the floor.

Guess the first question is, do I want to make a concrete base, or just put the blocks on the existing concrete and use morter to make it level?

#2 ·
I'm making a block wall in the basement. The current floor is old concrete, it's pitted and a little unlevel.

I was thinking about pouring an inch or two thick base to set the block on. I'm a little worried that it might crack or de-laminate though. I'm also a little unsure how to pour it, since it would be really long and narrow, and the form would have to be secured to the floor.

Guess the first question is, do I want to make a concrete base, or just put the blocks on the existing concrete and use morter to make it level?
Ayuh,... How big a wall,..?? ya might wanta cut, 'n dig for a proper footer...

#4 ·
You got me thinking...

It needs to be able to hold water, but I'm using pond liner and EPDM, so there really isn't going to be much pressure against the wall. I could make a stud wall and run solid 2x4's a foot and a half up the side and it would cost about the same.

Plus, it would be WAY easier to demolish if I ever wanted too. That alone is probably reason enough. Plus, I can fasten the EPDM right to the wood, before I was planning on running a board into the block with tacoms, then fastening the epdm to that.

Weird how you envision something one-way and miss the obvious. Originally I was coating it with epoxy - never thought to change the wall when I decided to go with epdm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.