Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

building block basement

I am getting ready to build a partial block basement for my house and am thinking about getting applied technologies to seal it or use drylok. Which is better. I will also have a gravity drain at the bottom of the wall. Which size block is common and can you use split face block where it will be exposed? This will be a walk out basement. Is poured really that much better. I am going with block because of cost. Anything special I need to do to make sure it doesn't bow in or leak.

Thanks

newblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #2

building block basement

The wall should be designed for whatever situation your using it in. Are you going to have 10' of unbalanced fill or 2'? How high is the wall? what size footing are you using? Is the wall going to be braced at the top by the homes framing?

I also wouldnt use drylok. Use something more substantial. I like Bonsal personally but there are other products out there which work. Try to find a local contractors suppy where you can buy some real products from. Not just use whatever HD or Lowes stocks.

ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #3

building block basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgrogan View Post
The wall should be designed for whatever situation your using it in. Are you going to have 10' of unbalanced fill or 2'? How high is the wall? what size footing are you using? Is the wall going to be braced at the top by the homes framing?

I also wouldnt use drylok. Use something more substantial. I like Bonsal personally but there are other products out there which work. Try to find a local contractors suppy where you can buy some real products from. Not just use whatever HD or Lowes stocks.
It will probably be like five or six feet fill at the most down to probably three feet. I would like to go about 14 or 15 block high. How often do you need rebar and filled with concrete? I don't want it bowed out or in over time. The floor joist will give some support at the top I would think. Look at the website and see what you think or if you have heard of them.
http://www.appliedtechnologies.com/p...rproofing.html

Thanks,
newblade is offline   Reply With Quote