Building An Awning To Cover Pool Equipment - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building an awning to cover pool equipment

Noobie from TX here and I have a slab of concrete with pool equipment on it that has been unprotected for the past 3 years....it's time to get'er done. I was able to scavenge 2X6 wood scraps for the frame from a new construction going on down the street. I want the frame to be 10' long and coming out 4' from the brick wall it will be attached to....my questions are as follow:

1) Can this be done without support posts running down to the slab/ground?

2) How do I anchor the frame into the brick wall?

3) Should I complete the frame and then anchor into the wall? I know it would be heavy as hell!

Thanks in advance for your help! I've built a few things over the years, but never attempted anything like this.

Advertisement

95sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

Got a picture?
#1 Any pool equipment I've even seen does not need a cover.
Trying to add a ledger to a brick wall and cutting in the flashing for the roof can do more damage then it's worth.
May want to concider making it free standing.
And yes no matter how you build it there will need to be post to hold it up.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Joe. I have a pic on my phone, but being a little technology challenged as I am, it would take me forever to get it on this website. If I'm going to have to have posts to help hold the load, then I might as well just do a sort of lean 2. I had heard that the load should be pushed back into the bottom rail of the awning (or transferred back to the bottom rail that is anchored to the brick) if built right....but I was questioning that myself.
And yeah, the pool equipment doesn't HAVE to have a cover, but this Texas weather puts a whoopin' on it. The heater control panel has screwed up twice already, likely due to being out in the weather with evening sun cooking it everyday.
95sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Here are some pictures of my DIY awning frame. I built it in 2 sections each 12" long by 5" wide. It does have supports though.
Attached Thumbnails
Building an awning to cover pool equipment-awning-frame.jpg   Building an awning to cover pool equipment-awning-frame-2.jpg  
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sportster View Post
I want the frame to be 10' long and coming out 4' from the brick wall it will be attached to....
Welcome to the Forum!

I'd build a box similar to a toy box (rectangular) with 2x walls covered in plywood (high enough to cover equipment). put a sloped top (rear wall taller than front) on it hinged so that it can open to access the equipment and shed rain. have it free standing so that it does not have to be attached to the wall, secure it to the slab. cover the plywood with a weather barrier and maybe some nice cedar shingles. plates against concrete should be preservative treated. if worried about wind moving it secure it to slab with some tapcons.

just a thought

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote