Building An Attached Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
DIY = Done Right 1st Time

Rewards Points: 75

Building an attached garage

I have been dreaming of building a garage. I was originally thinking detached because of the simplicity of construction. But after talking with city codes I don't have enough available "accessory sq ft" to build the 24x24 garage I want. He said that I can either try to appeal the code, or I can get around the whole thing by connecting it to the house via a breezeway.

My question is when working with a new attached foundation do they literally build off my existing block (basement) foundation with a slab/block. Or is there a gap between the 2 and the new slab/block foundation will actually be build seperate but very close to the existing w/partition block wall.

With building so close I'm worried about water run off more than anything. My basement doesn't have a sump, and if drainage from our rough winters isn't considiered then I could be in for some issues down the road.

This project is starting to step outside my comfortable zone, but I'm mainly coming here to get information regarding the construction of an attached garage or breezeway. More I know, the better when it comes to hiring out for the footers/slab.

Advertisement

BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

Building an attached garage

They will tie into your house foundation. Usually a breeze-way has a roof with gutters, what water run-off? So would the garage. Any water between the two could be collected and moved with drain tile to a sump pit.

http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/..._soakaway.html

http://pwd.org/pdf/water_resources/c.../dry_wells.pdf

Be safe, G

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote