Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
lmc

Rewards Points: 10

Building an additional room

Hi, new to the forum, let me give a little background on the house it was built around the 1940's in peices at a time with different kinds of wood over the years but the house is nice and in really good shape it is three bed room one bath pier and beam foundation , there is no utility room in the house so washer and dryer are in the kitchen i would like to build a utility room on an existing back porch, and would like to know how to go about doing this, first off will it be okay to add a additional roof under the original for the room. second, would this project be under code being that it is not accually under the same roof as the house,any suggestions an ideas would be greatly appericiated.

thanks

lmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

IMC,

You and I are both newbies! Congrats to both of us.

I would suggest this for starters,

Contact your local Building Officials at City Hall.

You should ask them about what is required before doing anything else. Once you confirm their requirements, which may include providing some drawings, seek a good designer/architect to look at your home. They will look at what can and cannot be done.

I am assuming you are talking about incorporating this new utility room into part of the home, using the existing roof system but adding new ceiling joists, exterior walls, right?

If you are going to hire someone to do this, contact General Contractors and ask them to submit a bid. They may provide some simple sketches/even provide drawings for a fee and provide good information as to what you can and cannot do due to existing structure.

Just some thoughts

Dougaphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

IMC,

I can't speak for your local building codes.

But, in my neck of the woods, you would be required to obtain a building permit for such a project.

A couple of considerations:

1.) Check out the 'supports' for that porch to see if they are adequate to hold the added weight of a washer and dryer, walls and roof load.

2.) Make sure that you will be able to creat a roof that will have the proper pitch and the ability to shed water away from the house. Example: Torrential downpour.

These are the first two things that come to my head. Number 1.) is the
primary concern.

Good Luck
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote