Building An Addition Inside A Warehouse - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building an addition inside a warehouse

Hi, I own a 4,000 sqft warehouse space. Its outfitted to be a personal training studio. It already has an office and bathroom built inside. They used metal studs going all the way up to the ceiling, except for an entry room thats just connection with no ceiling. I framed and drywalled an extra room next to these for use as a break room.

All that was needed was two new walls to form a right angle into the existing metal stud walls to form a new room. My questions is the two new walls are finished on the outside but not yet drywalled on the inside. I have diagonal bracing on currently that will be removed when i put the inside drywall up. this extra "room" will have no ceiling at all (no need) the two new walls are all screwed together and into the existing wall. Do you think additional bracing should be used? if so what kind? I'm a journeyman carpenter but have little knowledge about ceilingless additions in a warehouse space.

Advertisement

joe8386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You are constructing two non-load bearing partitions that will be up against two existing walls to form a rectangular room. You should not need bracing in your walls. This is assuming that you are screwing the studs to the tracks and not crimping. You mention that it is a break room, if you are installing cabinets on the walls you will want to install flat stock on the walls studs prior to gypsum board so that you can more easily install your cabinetry. If you feel the need to stiffen the walls after they are constructed you can add a cross brace connecting the two top plates.

Advertisement

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,148

first off if the walls are inside its not a addition, its simply putting up a curtain wall for a commercial space

regarding the walls. your best bet woiuld be to try to post up to the ceiling where the two walls intersect, this will help stiffen up the corner if your not going to have a ceiling
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
addition , construction , warehouse