Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
DIY = Done Right 1st Time

Share |

Building a 1/2 wall in a basement?

I was thinking of building a 1/2 wall in my unfinished basement. I like the idea of having any furniture pressed up against drywall instead of block, and being able to run outlets in the wall.

My basement has a dehumidifier, and has never flooded. Only standing moisture I get it under furniture (learned my lesson there. After the dehumidifier, and putting blocks under the couch it no longer collects moisture on the concrete).

I was thinking of using tap cons to secure a 2x4 treated bottom plate 1-1/2" away from the block wall on the floor, and then putting a piece of treated 2x4 on face against the wall at the desired finish height. That way I wont have to worry about the radius between the floor and block wall.

Here's my questions...

-I have recently sealed the basement walls w/concrete paint.. what else needs to be done to the wall behind the studs to ensure mold wont become an issue?
-Can I use just normal non-treated studs/top plate?
-Green drywall enough? Was thinking of holding the drywall up 3/4 from the floor.
-Do I need to insulate the cavity of the 1/2 wall?
-Plastic over the studs before sheetrock?

Thanks!

BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #2

Building a 1/2 wall in a basement?

I am by no means an expert at basements (they just don't exist in our part of the country) but I did have occasion to finish part of a basement (the very rare few) and we used metal studs because we thought dampness might be an issue. No possibility of mold, if basement does get wet then they dont have to be replaced. Just a thought.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote