Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

build a stone house

I have been reading books and practicing on small projects around the house - in door and out - with mortar, rocks, stone, wood, glass, etc for the past 2 years. I've built a green house, Koi pond, and laid ceramic tile all through my house. I have torn out mobile home walls and installed code walls. I did mosaic on most of the walls that I replaced. Now I'm ready!! I don't want anything elaborate. I just want to build a small, VERY rustic but livable structure that can be added onto "later". My ultimate goal will be to perhaps move out of our Mobile home and into the stone house and live - full time... or not...use it for a "fire place" room. Anyway, what I need is some web sites, advice, books, etc THAT CAN JUST GET ME STARTED...WITHOUT all the modern day marvels that are unnecessary (for me). All I seem to be able to find in confusing, yada yada detail about things that are toooooo "much". This is just going to be a little more than a shack... approx. 20 ft by 20 ft. Nothing fancy for the first time. Any help for a novice?

scarediecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #2

build a stone house

If you are not under code provisions, then you are in good shape. If you are, well, then you are going to have issues.

Look for books on construction, farm buildings, and masonry that were printed prior to 1900. There are plenty, they are cheap and they are easy to read and understand.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #3

build a stone house

I'm pretty sure we are under "code provisions". We are a small town but it is very surprising all the "rules" we have to go by - even in the middle of no where. So when I go into the building, zoning office what do I tell them, "I need permission, rules, codes, etc. to build a stone room on my property"?

Also, thanks for the info. about the books. I will start a search for them tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #4

build a stone house

It means you can't just start stacking rocks. You will have to draw a plan and make sure it meets code, to get a permit, which pretty much means you are SOL.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #5

build a stone house

Bummer. I've heard it could be difficult but didn't expect it could be THAT difficult. I'll give it a shot and let you know what "they" say.