Build A Shed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Build a shed

Hello to all,

Thanks all in advance!! So i have room in the side of the side of my house of about 8feet by twenty feet and was thinking of building a shed. The dimensions of the shed i was thinking about were 5 feet by 16 feet? Would these dimensions suffice? A few starter questions below:
The floor seems simple enough but should I put down a pressure treated ply? Could I get away with just treating the the exterior part of the ply?
Can I just put hardiplanks directly to studs for exterior walls without having sheets obs?
I want to build a single pitch roof, any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

er78mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Build a shed

I'm thinking about doing the same so I hope you dont mind if I tag along. Posting a picture of the side of your house will help figure out drainage. Also including what city, state you are in will help.

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Build a shed

My first step would be to find out what is allowed. Check with your city or HOA to see what restrictions may be in place.

Second would be thought to what you are storing and how you are going to access the storage space. 5 x 16 seems awkward. Without a series of doors or accesses, you are going to lose a lot of storage for walking space to get to everything.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Build a shed

PT plywood is recommended if your shed floor is low to the ground. Most are. That said, PT plywood is pricey. If you put two coats of primer and paint on OSB, both sides, that may last you long enough. After all, we are talking about a shed.

Do not fasten hardiplank directly to studs unless you've given the walls shear strength by adding permanent bracing (read up on shear walls). Most find this more work than its worth, and so they just put sheathing on the walls. The sheathing will also generally outperform bracing.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Build a shed

If this is mainly for small clutter, and you don't have any lawnmowers or large items, something along this line might look neater.
Attached Thumbnails
Build a shed-gardenshed.jpg  
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 696

Build a shed

I agree on the odd ball size.
No one's ever build to big a shed.
The shortest lumber is 8', make it 5' and you'll have 3' of waste.
Biggest causes of rotting problems with sheds is, building it to low to the ground and not having any over hangs on the roof.
Hardee needs sheathing behind it.
Build it at least 6" up off the ground.
I just hate pressure treated plywood. It's weak, tends to delaminate, full of voids in the core.
I'd use 3/4" T & G Advantech subflooring.
Do not undersize the framing for the floor. If the floor is weak the rest of the building will suffer.
Windows take up valuable wall space for hanging things.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,232

Build a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
PT plywood is recommended if your shed floor is low to the ground. Most are. That said, PT plywood is pricey. If you put two coats of primer and paint on OSB, both sides, that may last you long enough. After all, we are talking about a shed.
You're joking, right?? OSB for a shed floor?? That's about the worst material I can think of. "Might" last two years around here, regardless of what you paint it with.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

Build a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
You're joking, right?? OSB for a shed floor?? That's about the worst material I can think of. "Might" last two years around here, regardless of what you paint it with.
I gave up my career as a comedian years ago. I now focus on dishing out terrible advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
Pittsville (11-20-2013), tony.g (11-21-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,232

Build a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by er78mph View Post
Hello to all,

Thanks all in advance!! So i have room in the side of the side of my house of about 8feet by twenty feet and was thinking of building a shed. The dimensions of the shed i was thinking about were 5 feet by 16 feet? Would these dimensions suffice? A few starter questions below:
The floor seems simple enough but should I put down a pressure treated ply? Could I get away with just treating the the exterior part of the ply?
Can I just put hardiplanks directly to studs for exterior walls without having sheets obs?
I want to build a single pitch roof, any suggestions?

Thanks!!
This 8x20 space you have next to your house, is that between your house and the property line? If so, depending on what the setback requirements are where you live, you may not be able to put a shed there at all. My side setback is 25 feet, though in many places it can be less. Something you should check before going too far with your plans.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Build a shed

hi all im new to this chat , im from the uk i thought id join this chat as i need you guys help advice .... im aiming to build a shed but im puzzled on materials as anyone brought timber shiplap of ebay or frameing as there is so much for sale , i dont think its to hard i always go to heavy duty but better that way i guess then flimsy can anyone give me advise if they look on ebay and give me a link who understand what to look for and also ive been looking at them nail guns paslode im 350 any advise on them . i wasnt sure of them and to be honest i dont mind useing hammer n nail to frame it but wanted it for the ship lap but i would use it for all frameing but the shiplap im thinking of getting would be say 18 mm 0r is it 19 mm can anyone give me a idea thanking you on advance cheers
billy-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

Build a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy-1 View Post
hi all im new to this chat...
Is punctuation and the Shift key expensive in the UK?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Build a shed

Quote:
cortell , jump on ur donkey and ride in the sunset and dont try to correct my punctuation and shirt key im trying to build a shed so if you can help many thanks all chatrooms has some one like
billy-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #13

Build a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy-1 View Post
cortell , jump on ur donkey and ride in the sunset and dont try to correct my punctuation and shirt key im trying to build a shed so if you can help many thanks all chatrooms has some one like
I'm not trying to correct your punctuation. I'm trying to make you aware that you're not using any at all. Your unwillingness to take two extra seconds makes it harder for everyone else to understand you. Someone needs to let you know that. I did it in a smart-ass way, and that might not have been the best way, but at least I'm telling you something that might help you in the long run--beyond this DIY stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
Arlo (11-22-2013), Davejss (11-21-2013), ratherbefishing (11-22-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #14

Build a shed

Quote:
+1;
Yes, we've been told to cut back on everything since the start of the financial crisis, including full-stops
Makes you quite breathless by the end!!
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
cortell (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #15

Build a shed

@ billy-1;
Joking aside, why buy timber off ebay? - you won't know what you're getting and you might end up with a load of bent firewood.

Have a look around a local timber yard to see what they have in stock. See what lengths it's in, and try and fit the dimensions of the shed around the available lengths to minimise waste: 4x2 for the studs - rafters depend on span. Stiffen the inside with 12mm OSB - cheaper than ply, and get a hammer and ovals on the shiplap - a nailer might be overkill, unless the shed's huge.
Good luck with it.

Advertisement

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote