Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

build out bonus room

I have an area over my garage that I believe can be used for additional living space. Trusses have provisions for knee walls and are 2x8, 24 o.c. Question 1: The floor joist are 2x8 24"o.c. and span 11'9". The total garage span is 23'. There is a splice that uses a mending plate to hold both joists together. Are the joists structurally sound for 3/4 plywood with laminate flooring? Would I need to use blocking to give flooring more support? Room will be used for crafts - no real heavy objects. Ques 2: what is best way to insulate? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
build out bonus room-bonus-room.jpg  

EFTHIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,990

build out bonus room

Need to go back and add your location to your profile for questions like that.
Just go to quick links to edit.