Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

build a new load bearing wall

Just bought a home and I want to build a new load bearing wall four feet away from the existing one, thus enlarging a small bedroom by four feet. This wall is the only wall on that side of the house so it has to be load bearing I would assume its about twelve feet long. The room next to the bedroom is about 12'X10' with no supporting walls or pillars anywhere in the room. I guess I just build the new wall first with studs before I cut out the old load bearing studs. The new studs would simply take over the load.
Any suggestions?

George Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Minor View Post
I guess I just build the new wall first with studs before I cut out the old load bearing studs. The new studs would simply take over the load.
Not quite that simple. For starters, do floor/ceiling joists cross over on the existing wall? Is your house single- or multi-storey? Is there a room below?
Not enough info.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

i doubt that the ceiling joists overhang 4' to allow you to just move the wall.
terry603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Minor View Post
Just bought a home and I want to build a new load bearing wall four feet away from the existing one, thus enlarging a small bedroom by four feet. This wall is the only wall on that side of the house so it has to be load bearing I would assume its about twelve feet long. The room next to the bedroom is about 12'X10' with no supporting walls or pillars anywhere in the room. I guess I just build the new wall first with studs before I cut out the old load bearing studs. The new studs would simply take over the load.
Any suggestions?
I'm no expert at this by no means, BUT I can tell you first hand what happens when people think they can just move walls with little know how or thought. You end up with a bearing wall takin out with 2 4x6's sistered together resting on the the ceiling joist tales HOG WIRED to the joist to hold everything up. Not my work but the previous owners. Do lots of research and then when you THINK you have everything covered do more research. LOTS of FACTORS. Good Luck.
1921MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Does your local building department require a structural engineer to provide drawings when moving a load bearing wall before they will issue a building permit?
Need so much more information before even coming close to giving any other advice. That's why structural engineers exist and why they have to visit a home in order to determine the best course of action. The ceiling joists may have to be upgraded, support posts may be required ... All sorts of things may need to happen but would need to know a lot more about the structure of your home and not typically something that you can get accurate info on via an internet forum. These questions come up virtually every day and the pros usually give much the same answer ... Don't mess with structure if you do not have the experience necessary.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote