Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #1

Share |

build a house

hi can i build my own house from scratch i have land with full planning
i have worked in the building trade but never got any qualifications.

h gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #2

build a house

Sure, just don't have any little chlidren live in it.

JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #3

build a house

Absolutely. All you need is time, ability and desire to learn how to do things properly before you do them and money.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #4

build a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarth View Post
Sure, just don't have any little chlidren live in it.

What are you talking about?
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #5

build a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
What are you talking about?
Ryan, It's really strange since this is a DIY site but there are people on here that think that you have to hire "Professionals" to do just about anything or else you are endangering your children.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #6

build a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Ryan, It's really strange since this is a DIY site but there are people on here that think that you have to hire "Professionals" to do just about anything or else you are endangering your children.
I wondered if you were thinking more on the line of: "I hope this person isn't reproducing." Glad to see you took the high road.....
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Woodworker and Contractor

build a house

I think what you are looking for is yes most areas still let an owner built his onw home and be his own contractor. Banks give you a hard time about it though. Most of the time you can do it all yourself or sub some things out, all the subs you use have to hold their own licenses for those feilds. With all that said if you are not sure, hire a pro, I have finished several job that owner/constactor started and got over their heads quickly and ended up spending more money on the hiring a good builder from the start. Some constactors will come in and get you to the dryed in shell and hand it over to you to finish also. Good luck
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #8

build a house

Oh got it. This guy is one of those. I am a Professional Carpenter so according to him if I wire my new ceiling fan I am going to kill my kids with it.. I have read some of hi sold post, He is very negative.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #9

build a house

I'd stick to doing the things you know and the things you enjoy. For me, I'd sub out the foundation, and all of the sheetrock & taping. Probably the roof framing.

Contact your local AHJ to determine what you can and cannot do yourself.
The laws vary depending on where you live.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #10

build a house

Not negative .... just very truthful ...... you guys can justify all your hack jobs in your own mind .... no one is going to change it ... I really don't care how bad you do it ....

Just don't punish the children in the process.....
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #11

build a house

I've built two houses and a granny unit by myself. But prior to that I had built a small detached 200 sq.ft. office in my backyard which really helped to get my skills and knowledge to proceed. Also, it helped learning about county/city inspections and that process.
You do not need to be a contractor or licensed in any form. The only requirenment is that you will not be able to sell it for two years after completion. Otherwise you'll need your contractors license.

Start slow and small. And beware, that after the framing you will only be 40 percent complete. And the most time consuming and difficult 60 percent is still ahead of you.

It may also cause alot of strain on your family.

But then I felt pretty good about myself when I got my final. Still do. It's quite an achievement.
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #12

build a house

Unlike LawnGuy... I found the foundations the most enjoyable part along with farming and electrical.
Like LawnGuy...I would HIGHLY recomend you sub-out the insulation and the drywall, both can be done almost as cheap as you could buy the materials.

I did not use a compressor/nail gun on my first house. Do yourself a favor and buy a good one. And a palm-nailer, they're cheap and extreamly useful.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #13

build a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarth View Post
Not negative .... just very truthful ...... you guys can justify all your hack jobs in your own mind .... no one is going to change it ... I really don't care how bad you do it ....

Just don't punish the children in the process.....

What is with you and children? You need to watch the name calling. There are some very capable people on this sight. Not everyone is a hack.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #14

build a house

Ryan, I too found JGarth's statements antagonistic, immature and basically just plumb-dumb.
That being said, I'm just going to ignore him from here on out.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

build a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
...There are some very capable people on this sight. Not everyone is a hack.
Yes, there are some VERY talented DIYers on this forum.

I have been very impressed by some Home Owner's projects. Just go to the Project Showcase Section and look around.

One customer of ours (a housewife) was unbelievably talented (electrical, painting, installing lights, storm doors, building things ... I'd hire her! Seriously! (We are still friends with her and her husband).

Now, on the other hand, there are some home owner's that shouldn't touch a hammer, paint brush, or any powertools. Some get in over their heads on a project that they are not ready for, or are underqualified to attempt. Some are a little too cocky....and completely clue-less.

But guess what? I also just described a few contractors out there too!

There are just as many contractors out there that can clearly be labeled as "Hacks", because they overstep their abilities (or just don't care) I've run into a few, seen the work some do, and have gone in to evaluate and fix things too. You should see the threads at Contractor Talk with stories and pictures regarding Hack "contractors".

So, the pendulem swings both ways....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-17-2008 at 07:16 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote