Bug Screen Behind Soffit? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bug Screen behind soffit?

I'm replacing my old wooden soffit with aluminum. My wife's uncle (a long time contractor) is telling me that I need to put a screen behind the soffit to prevent bugs from getting in. I haven't heard this from anybody else or read about it anywhere...so I'm wondering if it's just his own personal overkill.

Has anyone heard of this, or know if it's really required up here?

Advertisement

Photo Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is the soffit part of a roof ventilation system? If it is, you will be installing perforated soffit panels. If these panels do not have screening on the back and the openings are large enough for insects to get in, I would screen them.
I would listen to the man with the experience.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Agree with Ron. The new material you are putting up has to have some method of ventilation. IF there is nothing behind the new soffit material to prevent bugs from entering, then screen there. One small spider, one small ant, will lead to others. IF this is some type of panels with air spaces cut every so often, use fiberglass screening material. Cut pieces larger than the ventilated area, use silicone to glue this into place on TOP of the panels. No bugs. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The new soffit is perforated aluminum (whatever brand/style the have at Home Depot) and yes, it's part of the attic ventilation system. I figured the holes in the aluminum were small enough to prevent most bugs. If I do put a screen behind it, that has a tighter mesh than the holes in the soffit, then I'd be worried that it would restrict the air flow too much.

And while I do respect the experience of thy guy I got the advice from...he's also a bit of a crook and would do something like this just to jack up costs...
Photo Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,080

You are correct, any screening would change the NFVA: http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...rived92755.pdf

You need 2' deep of venting to get the required 9 NFVA per foot, that is fully vented, no solid panels mixed in. 4.68 x 4.68= 9.36 NFVA, with no vapor barrier on the attic floor. 1/2 that if v.b. is present. http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Be safe, Gary