Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Budgeting for stair work, opinions?

We live in Maryland, and I want to put 3 winders at the bottom of my basement stairs (need floor space for a bathroom installation, but also have to have the headroom, hence no landing and turn).

Those of you who do stairwork, any opinions as to budgeting costs. Tbe basement is unfinishef, so we're not looking for finished stairs, just framing.

Thanks.

benb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,104

Anyone here would just be guessing and coming up with prices that mean nothing. No one knows what the labor rate is in you area, how long it's going to take, and we can not see in person what needs to be done.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

About $80. for materials.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #4

I've found people on here to have a pretty good take on projects, and while maybe not exact prices, what they charge or have been charged helps.

with all respect joe, I've posted two questions today and you have answered the same to both, 'no one on here knows'. That would make sense coming from someone who has been posting for years, but I see you are a newbie too.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,104

I've been one this site one day, I've been on many other sites with over 16,000 post.
I've been working on homes for over 30 years and have completly remodeled over 20, 100 plus year old homes, built at least 30 complete houses, plus dozens of sheds, garages, moduler homes and mobil homes.
Some questions posted depend on materials chosen, local labor cost ect. things to be worked around and are best to be seen on site. That's just the way it works in real life.
If someone calls and says over the phone I want a bathroom build how much is it going to cost or can it be done, I need a new heating system how much does it cost, ect. what should someone do?
Quoting prices over the net can cause confusion when they go get some real prices to have it done and they think the person that's on site is trying to gouge them.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

No one is looking for a price quote, that would be silly.

If you have all of the experience you say, and I'm assuming you do, someone saying that they need roughed in winders at the bottom of a staircase should give a general idea of the range of budgeting needed for standard stairs, knowing that prices are going to fluctuate in metro areas and costs are going to change if there are unique aspects of the job.

If someone calls me and asks what tbey would be looking at for cabinets in their bathroom, I could give them a range from what I consider low to what I consider high. I wouldn't have any worries about being held to the range since I'm not estimating the job.