Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Share |

broken concrete cause of basement leaking?

I'm trying to help my dad out with a problem. All walls of their basement are getting water coming in. A company came out and did a trench drain deal inside along 2 walls. It cost about $3k and would be another 7K to do all walls. (they only did 2 cuz that's all they could afford) My concern is he has a large chunk of his driveway that cracked and is pointing downward by several inches, maybe even about a foot right up against the foundation. Out of the 2 companies he's consulted no one mentioned that it was an issue in the basement leaking. I'm trying to convince him it probably is a huge issue, am I wrong? Just want to say the house is 8 years old, graded perfect from what I can tell, gutters don't leak, has a sump and supposedly was tiled below the footings during construction. The very close neighbors haven't had any issues. He does have a hairline crack in the floor. I know this is really a hard one to speculate on but thanks for any opinions!

annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

There's a very large difference between "several inches" and "even about a foot". Both scenarios are problematic in an 8 year old house and could easily contribute to the leak.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Always fix the drainage first. I am surprised that no one has mentioned a slope into the house; that is inexcusable. Grade sloping into the house would be suspect 1 in my book.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

That is what I have always read. But since the companies that came over to "inspect" never said anything about it, my Dad assumes it's not an issue. The chunk of sloping concrete is roughly 16-18 sq. feet.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #5

Annie, get your guns.... If any water ever hits that slab, then obviously you have an issue. Period.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Annie, get your guns.... If any water ever hits that slab, then obviously you have an issue. Period.
LOL! I talked to him last night. Told him what you all said. He agrees totally and plans to fix the broken concrete before anything else. He's thinking "no" on the additional $7K worth of indoor trenching so will see what happens. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #7

its POSSIBLE repairing that section of conc will stop the leak but you're got better odds betting ron paul will be elected pres in 2012,,, the co was right in their evaluation - the wtr's already down by the footer &, absent frull exterior excavation, gave the best solution to manage the issue.

whether they find value in the $7K addl work is another issue - ck qualifications/pricing/alternate sources for pricing/method,,, someday someone will pay more for a problem not resolved today

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #8

When you say the driveway has dropped several inches at the house, it leads me to think there may be a void under the concrete that is collecting water and feeding the leak in the basement. Tap the concrete to listen for hollow sounds. Voids exist under all slabs that meet a vertical wall because of the soil settling.

Sandchuck is offline   Reply With Quote