Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Share |

Bricking a house that already has siding

Hello all,
I am a homeowner not a professional contractor, but I need some help and advice please. I am about to undertake having my home bricked (it currently has siding) I was told we need a freeze board that brick goes behind for the last course close to the soffitt. That requires a facia board, bed molding etc from understanding. Would this product work in lieu of the freeze board?
http://www.exteriorsolutions.com/p-2...nyl-8pack.aspx

I see several benefits from it due to not having to paint, no rot, and there's only one piece to install instead of several.

Any other tips, hints, pitfalls to look at for would be greatly appreciated. I have a good mason who did the foundation and steps for me when we built in 05 (wanted to brick then, but wife wanted siding like her parents ) so I trust his work. Just need some extra guidance on certain things. He'll be doing the addition to footer and tying it together with rebar. Thanks in advance

Last edited by RobertSC52; 04-29-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fixed link
RobertSC52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Was your foundation built with 12 inch block with a shelf angle to take the dead load of brick? Building with brick has to be considered when poring the footings and the foundation wall. Im sure you must know this but just thought id throw it out there. If it was, you need secondary protection on the sheathed wall, proper flashing and weeps at the base, cleanout of the cavity space, and wall ties installed as you go up every 4th course.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Bad link.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Was your foundation built with 12 inch block with a shelf angle to take the dead load of brick? Building with brick has to be considered when poring the footings and the foundation wall. Im sure you must know this but just thought id throw it out there. If it was, you need secondary protection on the sheathed wall, proper flashing and weeps at the base, cleanout of the cavity space, and wall ties installed as you go up every 4th course.
As I mentioned I'm not a mason, nor am I trying to pretend I know a 1/3 of what I need to know, but the person I used to build the foundation is doing this work too, and we discussed setting it up for bricking in the future (built in '05). Would you mind elaborating on this? Could state codes also leave certain things open for interpretation? I'm in SC. I know the wall ties will of course be used, but I'm almost certain he said every 3rd. We have to extend the footer about 8-10" and he has to drill the current and set rebar to attach.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Bad link.
Sorry about that this should be better
http://www.exteriorsolutions.com/p-2...nyl-8pack.aspx
Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Technically, you don't need a freeze board at the top, it just makes it easier on the brick mason. It means that his cut's don't need to be as tidy. I've done several homes where we ran a canted "soldier" course against the fascia with the cut's below. You just need to be pickier about your cuts. That being said, I personally like the looks of a freeze board.

As for the wall ties, you technically only need one for every 2 sq. feet of wall, so assuming 16" stud centers, every 18" of height. THat's about 6 courses on Queen/King size brick, and 7.666 courses on mods/standards.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Technically, you don't need a freeze board at the top, it just makes it easier on the brick mason. It means that his cut's don't need to be as tidy. I've done several homes where we ran a canted "soldier" course against the fascia with the cut's below. You just need to be pickier about your cuts. That being said, I personally like the looks of a freeze board.

As for the wall ties, you technically only need one for every 2 sq. feet of wall, so assuming 16" stud centers, every 18" of height. THat's about 6 courses on Queen/King size brick, and 7.666 courses on mods/standards.
Thanks for the info. Have you ever done one after the build similar to what I'm looking at? What can you tell me good/bad/ or otherwise about it? I want to use that dentil molding I linked, but I don't think it can be properly cut to up a gable like you would crown molding. It's a hollow backed piece so I'm worried it won't seam up correctly.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSC52 View Post
Thanks for the info. Have you ever done one after the build similar to what I'm looking at? What can you tell me good/bad/ or otherwise about it? I want to use that dentil molding I linked, but I don't think it can be properly cut to up a gable like you would crown molding. It's a hollow backed piece so I'm worried it won't seam up correctly.
Absolutely, and once the siding's off, it's no different than a new construction. You certainly will need a brick ledge to set it on though, but it sounds like your mason already has that covered.

As for the freeze board, I'd likely keep it simpler than that dentil molding. You would need some backing nailed up before the brick was installed, generally held off the house 4-5", based on actual brick depth. The freeze board is nailed to the backing once the brick is set. There's plenty of composite/hybrid "lumber" available now-a-days that wouldn't require much for maintenance............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Roofmaster

You have posted no pictures or details of how your openings like windows will be handled, and openings in brick veneer have to be properly flashed to redirect water to the exterior. It sounds like your Mason knows his stuff though, so that's a good thing.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSC52 View Post
He'll be doing the addition to footer and tying it together with rebar.
Thanks in advance
LINK to images of proper foundation set up for brick

Quote:
Any other tips, hints, pitfalls to look at for would be greatly appreciated.
Engineer and inspections are cheap money

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote