Brick Laying - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

brick laying

Hi, Thanks for reading my question: Is it ok to lay new bricks on top of loosen old bricks for exterior wall?

On one side of my building, the top half brick was taken off around 6 months ago as they were bubbling. Now we are getting ready to re-brick the top half of the wall. I found that some of the highest layers of the old bricks are loosen. Is it ok to just add new bricks over the loosen old bricks?

Thanks again

Advertisement

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

brick laying

No!

Would you build a house on a soil and foundation that is not stable.? There is a reason they are loose, so find out what is going on before you proceed.

Advertisement

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #3

brick laying

So we need to take down all the loosen bricks before add any new ones...

The pic shows the situation.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #4

brick laying

the situation is as in pic
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #5

brick laying

From the picture, it appears you want to put brick veneer over a stick frame structure.. Make sure you use wall ties to prevent the brick from falling away from the wood when it moves. the codes have requirements on the spacing that have been used successfully for years.

the lack of ties could be the reason there is a problem now. Do you have any idea what is holding the existing lower brick against the structure?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

brick laying

It is quite likely that the cause of the walls bulging was either insufficient wall ties, no ties, badly fixed or rotten, as mentioned in the previous post. The tops of walls is normally the first to go. It is possible to renew ties at the bottom without removing the brickwork, as shown in the link. Ties in a cavity wall are normally every 3ft horizontally and 18 inches vertically on a cavity wall and every 2ft horizontally on a veneer.
http://www.petercox.com/pdf/2009/Cav...lTieRepair.pdf
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #7

brick laying

I am not familiar with the terms in brick laying. I wouldn't call the existing brick layer "vaneer" as it is real brick (my thoughts). I think the existing bricks are held by scattered "long nails" which may be what you call "wall tie".

We were told that the top of the wall failed after they redid the roof and left the brick wall unreparied...But the link does look like our problem. I will have a good look at it.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #8

brick laying

Long nails are not really good enough, as special wall ties are required. They also need to be at the required spacing. At openings every 3 courses.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #9

brick laying

Nails are inferior and may not be as economical as wall ties (corrugated metal straps) that can be bent to allow for variations in coursing.

There are two different types of brick veneer. One is the adhered thin brick veneer (sometimes called "lick and stick") that is adhered, glued and attached directly to the backup. The more classic and common type is actual brick veneer where the brick bear on the brick below for vertical support and metal ties to provide load horizontal attachment to the back-up. With true brick veneer, there is a small void between the brick and the back-up where any moisture can drain downward.

Dick
Old 09-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,476

brick laying

1st your bricks bubbled so now i'll prick your bubble,,, hire a brickie who knows the work,,, IF the lower courses have no ties, placing new on top will only add to the height of the jumbled pile when they fall down.

only my opinion but i don't think forums are the best place to learn trades - neither are websites, pamphlets, dvd's, or cd's,,, 1st you need to learn the vocabulary & vernacular so you know what to specifically ask,,, good luck !

don't forget to increase your liability insurance &, specifically, add a rider for sub-par work done which wouldn't meet code !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #11

brick laying

Thanks for the advise.

In term of the lower half old bricks, can I add pins in to the wall (see pic) like some of the neighbours do to reinforce as wall ties?
Attached Thumbnails
brick laying-p9270696-sml.jpg  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #12

brick laying

Hard to be sure from a photo, but they look like pattress plates with tie rods going through the house at floor levels between the joists. The rods are put in hot and contract on cooling to grip the plates, which have nuts on for extra tightening.
http://www.redgwick.co.uk

Advertisement

Last edited by stuart45; 09-27-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling correction