Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |

brick foundation walls

I'm in the process of purchasing a house. Most of the foundation has been replaced but a small section still has a brick supporting wall and column. I had it inspected and was recommended to put a steel post at the end of the wall. He said structurally it was good other than that. My question is more cosmetic than structure. Some of the brick is missing and the mortar is loose. I think the wall was thicker before and some of the outer bricks are removed. I want help to mantain it structurally and to make it more visually appealing. Currently the basement has dirt floors and I will pour new concrete floors soon. I want to fix this problem for myself and future buyers so there is not a problem in the future. I could frame around it and cover it up but I would rather correct the problem.I can add a pic soon, I'm closing Friday 1/25/08. I apreciate any help given.

drummerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

brick foundation walls

Have the Seller fix it before the close, or else walk away. Who knows what other problems there are besides the one visual structure problem.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #3

brick foundation walls

I had it check by a professional and had it looked at by different people. There are many things to do to this house and I forgot to ask about the visual aspect of this problem. Most of the structure has been redone or is newer. Its in a small part of the house which supports a 11x13 dining room. I just needed more ideas so I decided to post it here. I'm buying the house as is condition and feel comfortable with that. I got it for a good deal and cash back at settlement to fix problems. It's not that big of an issue concidering it's more a visual thing. I guess that I could replace it or frame around it to hide it. I just want to help the structural integrity. Replace it? or cover it up?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

brick foundation walls

Quote:
Replace it?
Ayuh,........

No Doubt the Best Option................
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #5

brick foundation walls

I don't see an issue with replacing the brick wall but I'm not so sure about the column. I was going to replace the floor joists for the dining room above and put a new subfloor anyway. The column goes under the basement steps ( which will also be replaced). Thanks Bondo! That is the best way. I have a friend that can help me with this. He will know what to do. The only drawback is, I'll have to wait until he's not so busy. I was just thinking I could repair the brick instead of replacing it so I didn't have to wait for my friend.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

brick foundation walls

Quote:
I was just thinking I could repair the brick instead of replacing it so I didn't have to wait for my friend.
Ayuh,......

While laying Brick has it's own Tricks of the Trade,....
It Isn't really Rocket Science either......
Maybe your Bud can find the time to wander over,+ give you a few Tips before you start......

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote