Brick Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
DMD

Rewards Points: 10

Brick Foundation

How stable is a brick foundation? Is there repair that can be done?

Advertisement

DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Brick Foundation

Would you please click on your username and update your basic geographic location? It could make a difference in how people respond.

Brick has been used for centuries for foundations and structures. It does need care and feeding though. You should call in an experienced and qualified mason to look at your situation if you suspect the brick or its tuckpointing is failing.

If you are in earthquake country? You probably do not want your house sitting on a mortar foundation of any kind. Replace it if you possibly can.

I would have to look it up but I think the strongest (not necessarily the most damaging) earthquake in US history happened along the New Madras fault in the Midwest. 1811? The Mississippi River flowed backward. Anything near with a brick foundation would have been rubble. All near now when it does its thing, and it has to at some point, will be. Same with all the brick construction along the Hayward fault in N California. It is the most dangerous fault line out there and runs right through Hayward, Oakland, Bezerkeley, Bezerkeley Hills....

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
DMD

Brick Foundation

Thank you. The house is in Iowa. I will try to put in my location. I don't really know how to navigate this site well, but I will try.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Brick Foundation

are you saying the brick sits on the ground? is the brick several layers wide(not tall)? is this holding up the builing?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
DMD

Brick Foundation

Yes, this is the 1874 house with the roof issue.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
DMD

Brick Foundation

The bricks are wide and appear to be in good position.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Brick Foundation

I have been involved with several brick builing restorations on old farms in va. where the multiple layer thick brick was the foundation/walls all the way to the roof. In those cases we started by underpinning the brick where it met the dirt, quite a process but these buildings have been around as long as yours and more and were weatherring fine. I would suggest underpinning if you can invest in that. are you experiencing failure of some kind?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
DMD

Brick Foundation

No, this house is on an acreage we plan to buy. We are trying to decide if it is worth putting work into the house. I would like to save the house if we can. It needs a new roof and siding. It has a partial basement where the furnace and water heater are located. We have estimated that the house needs $40,000 to do the work it needs, but since we are only paying the price of the land anyway, it may be worth putting the money into it and use as our primary residence. A contractor will look at it, but it is good to get several opinions.

Last edited by DMD; 02-17-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Incorrect wording
Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
DMD

Brick Foundation

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by DMD; 02-17-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Duplicate