Brick Fireplace Paint ... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brick Fireplace Paint ...

Hello. This is my first post so thanks in advance to all who offer their help.

I'm remodeling my dining room and about to install a new mantle and built in book shelves. Before doing so, I want to change the color of my brick fireplace. Previous owner loved pink and so I got a pink fireplace. Ouch. A neighbor said she has the same fireplace but still a different brick color. Anyone know if this is original brick color or some kind of epoxy/paint? The color on the brick and mortar is so consistent it looks like a paint or something. I like brick but a different color more red/crimson. Anyone have an idea? I'd like to stain the brick but can't tell if the stain will take.

Thanks!
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Fireplace Paint ...-brick-compresses.jpg  

Advertisement

g8master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I cannot really tell from the photo but this does not look like brick and mortar to me but rather like some faux product or spray on epoxy finish?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I'm sure it's brick ... it's a 1950s masonry fireplace. Hard to tell becuase whatever is covering it is so freaking thick! I think it is an epoxy though not sure. It looks like something that would be in a garage with all the spreckles. Any other thoughts? Here's another photo ... from a bit further away.

How can I change the color? ANyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Fireplace Paint ...-brick-compress-2.jpg  
g8master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,456

sher-wms ( or anyone else's ) block filler paint if you must,,, tape the jnts, paint w/3/4" nap roller, fitch brush for highlighting/blending, pull tape before paint cures.

OR polymer-modified cementitious o'lay applied to expanded metal lath,,, we use eliteCrete
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote