Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

Brick color

I am building a garage and while the garage itself is vinyl the foundation of course is brick/block. The brick/block guy has done a great job but the brick is a little darker and a little redder than the brick on my 45 year old house which is a little oranger.

Should my OR could my contractor have found a brick a little closer in color? Will this brick fade to match or can it be forced to fade to match? Should I even bother to bring it up with the contractor?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Brick color

It will not fade, but it will get dirty.

You allowed his to select the brick, so you cannot say too much now.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #3

Brick color

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
It will not fade, but it will get dirty.

You allowed his to select the brick, so you cannot say too much now.
Well yeah, I let him pick the brick I figured he would have the common sense to pick a brick that matches the house. If a guy has been doing this type of work for umpteen years you assume these things.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Brick color

Sometimes there is no match due to the changes in the manufacturing process and the depletion of clay sources. The chemistry of the clay has a lot to do with the end color of the brick. The brick is not always the color of the unfired clay.

With such a small amount of brick, you are limited to what is currently in stock also.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 05-04-2007 at 01:47 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #5

Brick color

People don't see color the same way either. You should always have your contractor submit a sample for your approval, for anything with a choice of color/texture/style.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #6

Brick color

CM, brick assumes it's final color as it exits the final stage of the kiln and is exposed to oxygen (and sometimes other gases), and, like you say, the final color has little to do with the color of the clay used (for kiln fired brick).
Old 05-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #7

Brick color

I'm already looking at brick tinting processes anyone familiar with these. No offense, but I kind of need solutions here not woulda, shoulda, coulda. The "Submitting a sample for my approval" days are long gone. As the man said it is now set in stone.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #8

Brick color

"Should my OR could my contractor have found a brick a little closer in color? " Not likely for a 45 year old brick.

"Will this brick fade to match or can it be forced to fade to match?" No.

"Should I even bother to bring it up with the contractor?" No.

Staining the brick is permanant and effective, but pricey.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
Contractor

Brick color

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Well yeah, I let him pick the brick I figured he would have the common sense to pick a brick that matches the house. If a guy has been doing this type of work for umpteen years you assume these things.
Tripower,

You should never assume things when dealing with anyone.

Unless some brickyard in your area has the exact same brick that matches your house sitting in their yard for the last 45+ years, finding an exact match is virtually impossible. As Tscar pointed out Staining is your option.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #10

Brick color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Tripower,

You should never assume things when dealing with anyone.

Unless some brickyard in your area has the exact same brick that matches your house sitting in their yard for the last 45+ years, finding an exact match is virtually impossible. As Tscar pointed out Staining is your option.
Thanx, well actually I'm the one that brought up staining and you are correct that it the only option. It doesn't look horrible but I notice it.
And once again it would be nice if the contractor would bring this to my attention...beforehand.