Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Brick chimney problems

I have a full size chimney, made out of 24 x 12 inch brick blocks, built about 35 years ago, and all of it is exposed to the elements. There are 3 flues, one for upstairs fireplace, one for downstairs FP, and one sealed off at the top. I have been getting a white stain on the lower portion inside bottom of the sealed flu, and no matter what I do, it always comes back. Have tried sealing it with Thompsons, but some "white flaky, fluffy" stuff came right back over it, between the lower bricks. Since there is nothing going on with that flu, can't understand what stuff is and how to stop it. Any ideas?
Cheers
Syd

scoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Brick chimney problems

it's efflorescence. A salt compound released when moisture is evaporation. You problem is a moisture and air flow problem somewhere.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #3

Question

Brick chimney problems

If what you say is it, and that chimney has a top sealed against anything, could the flu next to it, whose top is open to the weather, be leaking water from rain, over and into it? Is there any way I can 'seal' the inside bricks, and keep the moisture ...'out'?
Thanks
Syd
scoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Brick chimney problems

you may find that a standard chimney cap may help. This will at least keep most of the rain water out of it. As well as keeping animals from nesting in there.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote