Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

breezeway enclosure

hello, we are currently in the process of closing in our breezeway. basically for now we are just getting a door for each end framing and putting in the doors to close in each end. the breezeway is cement, the front there is a step down and the back there is a small lip to the deck. how do I properly do the framing to cement and the door, so that it is waterproof. the front im not to concerned about but the back the water runs off deck into breezeway. also does something like this need a permit? im not building load bearing walls or roof, just putting in doors and the framing around it. and eventually some insulation and heat.

rwins52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,150

breezeway enclosure

A picture of your breeze way would be a big help.
No one knows where you live so hard to know if you need a permit.
You would here, and you also would have to add outlets if there are none.
Does this breeze way connect to a garage? If so your going to need a steel fire rated door between it and the living space, 5/8 fire code drywall on the garage side all the way up to the rafters. (depending on local code)
If this is now just an open breeze way with no walls at all, make sure the bottom of the walls sit even or just slightly out behind the slab. That's so the sheathing can run past the slab to stop air and water from getting in under the walls.
Bottom plate will need to be pressure treated and sill seal added under it (again depending on local code)
Plate can be attached with Tap Con screws or Ram set. (once again local code may call for much more) EG in CA you may need shear walls, wall tie downs ECT.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

breezeway enclosure

I am in cambria county PA. I will try to get a picture up here today. its hard to describe the breezeway so I will wait till I get a picture up to explain. it does connect to a garage. the front is completely open and the back has a doorway size opening to get to deck. the deck is a 2by6 higher than the breezeway. so I was worried about how to properly seal it. thanks again.

Last edited by rwins52; 05-02-2014 at 10:59 AM.
rwins52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

breezeway enclosure

Also to meet code the slab needs footings and the slab needs to be 8" higher than ground level. It can be a simple project but with a permit it could be a big project.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote