Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

Share |

"Breeze" in corner cabinet

Not sure which is the correct forum to post this to, so if it is appropriate for another forum, please move this there.

About a year ago, we had our kitchen and living room remodeled, which included a complete gut and swapping of both rooms. One of the odd problems that I noticed is that we now have what feels like a breeze in a the corner cabinet in our kitchen. It is only noticeable when you open the door to the cabinet, but it is a good 20-30 degrees colder in the cabinet than room temperature. I would think nothing of it if it didn't feel like there was some air flowing out of the cabinet. This is the only cabinet in the entire kitchen that has this problem - the rest have an internal temperature at or above room temperature.

Is this something that I should be worried about, or is there a reasonable explanation?

SrsBidness28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #2

Are there backs on these cabinet?
Outside wall?
How are you taking it's temp.? Just guessing?
Left the doors open for about an hour and rechecked for that "breeze"?
How old is this house?
Balloon wall construction?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Are there backs on these cabinet?
Outside wall?
How are you taking it's temp.? Just guessing?
Left the doors open for about an hour and rechecked for that "breeze"?
How old is this house?
Balloon wall construction?
In order:

Yes.
Yes.
Digital indoor/outdoor thermometer with outdoor sensor inside the cabinet. Cabinet measured in the mid to low 50s when the temp in the room was set to 68. (OK - my math was faulty. Looks like I need more coffee.)
Nope.
Built in late 1990, so about 13.5 years old.
Not as far as I could tell - the framing had headers and plates in the proper places.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

Got a candle? Light it and slowly move it around in the cabinet to see if you can narrow down where the air leak is coming from.
Is the cabinet total enclosed or is there an outlet, stove exhaust vent ECT. inside of it?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Is it possible that at one time there was (or was planned for) an oven in that area? In my house, they used a chase in an interior wall, ducted out the roof, as a range hood exhaust. No range hood exhaust was ever hooked up to it, but I spent quite some time scratching my head, wondering how my living room carpet, where it ended against an interior wall, had dust stains on the edge (commonly occurs against exterior walls with leaky sil plates).
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a candle? Light it and slowly move it around in the cabinet to see if you can narrow down where the air leak is coming from.
Is the cabinet total enclosed or is there an outlet, stove exhaust vent ECT. inside of it?
I'll give the candle method a try - the wife has a few hundred spare candles (the local Bath & Body Works employees know her by name).

As for the cabinet, there is a two-level lazy susan, in there and not much else in terms of structure/openings. I can't remember if it's attached top and bottom, or just at the bottom.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
STAFF

My guess is the cabinet was installed over the subfloor, without an underlayment, that usually has cracks between boards, air could come in through the floor and up and infiltrate through the top, there is usually a 3/4 inch gap under the counter top and the cabinet.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
My guess is the cabinet was installed over the subfloor, without an underlayment, that usually has cracks between boards, air could come in through the floor and up and infiltrate through the top, there is usually a 3/4 inch gap under the counter top and the cabinet.
I should specify this is a wall hung cabinet, not on the floor.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #9

Did they tape the drywall behind the cabinets? Do the cabinets extend to the ceiling or is there open space above? My guess would be that they omitted taping the drywall behind the cabinet or it cracked out while installing the cabinet into the corner and the corner framing is uninsulated. That corner inside the wall is probably acting like a flue for air movement.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrsBidness28 View Post
I should specify this is a wall hung cabinet, not on the floor.
Sorry, bout that. I have no clue about this one without being there.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
bbo

you might also be experiencing convection off the walls in the cupboard.
i.e. open cupboard door, warm kitchen air hits cool wall, forces cool air down and out the cupboard, pulling in warm air at the top.

I'd definitely leave the door open for awhile and see if the draft is still there after the inside warms.

how's the insulation in that area?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Is it possible that at one time there was (or was planned for) an oven in that area? In my house, they used a chase in an interior wall, ducted out the roof, as a range hood exhaust. No range hood exhaust was ever hooked up to it, but I spent quite some time scratching my head, wondering how my living room carpet, where it ended against an interior wall, had dust stains on the edge (commonly occurs against exterior walls with leaky sil plates).
The area where the kitchen is now used to be the living room and vice-versa. We are the third owners of the house, and the previous owners kept all the original documentation from when the house was built. The plans don't show any plans to have an oven there or anything other than a huge picture window.

From what I am hearing, it sounds like I should be talking to someone about this. (Don't get me wrong - I'll take help from anyone willing. I just don't want to waste anyone's time.) If you were me, would you go back to the contractor who did the work in the first place, or would you have someone else come in?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #13

post a pic of this area.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote