Breaks In Top Plate - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Breaks in Top Plate

I'm framing walls in my basement and had a quick question about where to break top and bottom plates. For long walls I had heard that you should break plates on a stud. The problem is I'm building and raising the walls myself.

So I was wondering if it was ok to build the walls in 2 sections and join them with a double stud at the break so I can raise and secure them separately?

If I do break the plates on a stud, is it ok to break both the bottom and top plate on the same stud, or should I stagger and break them on separate studs?

If I break the plates over a stud, is it ok to break it over a window? All of my walls will be non-bearing, so only a single top plate and 2x4's on edge for headers.

Advertisement

Tarheel4985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Breaks in Top Plate

You're fine with breaking the plates in the middle of a bay.

I would not use a double stud.( it messes up your insulation width and can reek havoc with your sheetrock layout)

Cut your plate midway in a bay.
Make your top & bottom breaks in the same bay.

If you're framing at 16" oc, cut a 14-1/2" block to mend the plate from the underside and the topside of the shoe.

Try not to break over a window or a door

Small sections are much easier to handle. Snap lines on the floor & ceiling and fasten your plates securely to both and there shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck

Advertisement

Last edited by tcleve4911; 02-21-2011 at 10:29 AM.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Breaks in Top Plate

I've done the double stud method making sure to keep the second wall stud back from the edge of the plate. this allows pulling the plates tight when fastening into the first wall stud. stud layout continues from original spot not new stud and as above try not to break over windows or door openings.

Last edited by tpolk; 02-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Breaks in Top Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
stud layout continues from original spot not new stud

So is the next bay 13" wide vs 14-1/2" ?
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote