DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Brackets for small glass shelves in recessed tiled box

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Blondesense 
#1 ·
In my bathtub recession, which has not been tiled yet, i have a recessed box for things like shampoo etc. on the opposite side from the showerhead. The dimensions are 15" wide x 42" tall x 6" deep. What I would like to have inside the box are two glass shelves and what I would like is to mount the brackets along the depth dimension of the box, so two brackets on either side of both shelves.

Howeve, I do not know what specific product to use for this particular application. I was imagining something that is L-shaped in cross section and runs lengthwise and I can cut (e.g. with an angle grinder and then file around edges for costmetics). Something that would like like a drywall corner bead but of course be made of stainless steel and each side of the L would be approximately 1". I would drill holes to screw it into the studs that frame the box and then, when tiling, thinset and then tile would go over the side of the L where it attaches to the cement board so that only the protruding side is visible.

Q1: Does this sound like a feasible design?
Q2: What is the product that I am looking for? Think something that looks like a drywall corner bead but is stainles steel.

#2 ·
Do a google-images search for "tile shelf in shower". You will see a lot of good ideas. Looks like the easiest would be to buy an insert and just slap that in. Seems like shower shelves are typically mounted rather permanently (i.e. shelf does not end up falling on your feet as you are searching for the shampoo). A nice slab of granite or marble would look pretty nice as a shelf too.

#3 ·
I think you are making this too complicated. If you want your first shelf 9" from the bottom, cut pieces of tile 9", set them on the two sides and back of the niche, and thinset your shelf across the top of them. Repeat for each additional shelf.
I don't think glass would be my first choice though. Difficult to keep clean and dangerous if broken.
Also, you want your shelves to slant slightly down at the front so water will drain rather than puddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.