Bracing For Supporting Walls - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bracing for supporting walls

I am presently building a house that has energy trusses for the floors and roof. The framing crew utilized 2x4 stud walls with no cross bracing for side to side stregnth. The outside walls have 1/2 OSB on one side but the interior walls have nothing as far as cross bracing is concerned. All interior door headers are framed with 2x4's instead of the traditional doubled 2x10's.

Should I go back and add some type of cross-bracing to gain stregnth to my interior walls for future prevention of sagging, or would this be over-kill?

Would it be necassary to go back and add 2x10's above all interior doors?

Advertisement

Bradley P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,138

Who is responsible for the design and construction of the home you are trying to build?

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #3

A hired contractor...
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,138

Since he is the general contractor you hired to design and build, he is responsible.

If what he is doing is not code complying , the building inspector should catch the problem areas. The inspector is obligated to look out for the home owner/permiter/tax payer. If you want extras or changes, I assume you would be responsible for the costs and changes.

According to code is the worst you can build and still have it legal. If you want it different make it the builders responsiblity when you contract.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
12 year IBEW member

Rewards Points: 25

I'm not an expert either but I think the interior walls that are not load bearing really do not need a large header over the doors because they do not support any weight. In the basements I ve done I have used 2x6's headers just for a little extra wall support but not really needed. As far as the cross support you thats where the sheetrock comes in when you get a wall full of rock you would be suprised how sturdy the wall becomes.

If your still concerned abouy schedule a walkthough your inspector befor you procede with insulation and rock.

Last edited by heavyduty; 01-21-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: duplicate wording
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #6

I have definately made a mistake by hiring this contractor but at this point I seem to be a bit behind the eight ball. I have confronted the builder about the issues and his statetment is that this is just the way that he frames his houses. At this point if anything gets changed I will be doing it myself because I simply refuse to pay extra charges for the quality of work being performed. My wife and I chose this contractor because of the quality of his finished product (we didn't realize what he was covering up), so right now I'm most concerned with the structure being strong enough to last through several years of settlement. The builder has advised that there is no need for any horizontal cross bracing because of the distribution of weight from the energy trusses that he has used. I am just not that educated on pre-fab truss sytems. He has stated over and over that these trusses are far better than anything stick built. He has given me permision to add anything to the walls myself if I feel necassary to do so. I geuss I just need to know if it would be worth adding anything extra for bracing. I have been told by several people that metal t-bracing could be added to the walls horizontally or diagonally for the prevention of sagging walls, I'm just not sure that this is needed or not.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #7
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Generally plywood on the exterior is sufficient without the need for a diagonal 'T' brace, once the sheetrock is applied it has a shear value to it as well to help prevent any racking. Not knowing your location, I'm in CA, all our approved plans show a nailing pattern for the exterior sheeting and a screw pattern for the sheetrock, this has a lot to do with engineering CYA themselves and the fact we are siemic zone 4 here.

Your approved plans should also dictate each and every header, so your concern about the header size should be addressed on the approved plans.

By approved plans, I mean the ones that are covered with red stamps from the building department, review them carefully and they should answer all your concerns. If something is amiss then approach the builder about the difference of what was drawn and what was built.

And as ConcreteMasonary pointed out the building inspector will be there to check everything, you should be there to observe as well during the inspection, just listen and watch, when finished you can then speak with the inspector privately and ask a 'few' questions if he missed inspecting something or if he didn't catch something that wasn't built as per plan.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley P View Post
I am presently building a house that has energy trusses for the floors and roof. The framing crew utilized 2x4 stud walls with no cross bracing for side to side stregnth. The outside walls have 1/2 OSB on one side but the interior walls have nothing as far as cross bracing is concerned. All interior door headers are framed with 2x4's instead of the traditional doubled 2x10's.

Should I go back and add some type of cross-bracing to gain stregnth to my interior walls for future prevention of sagging, or would this be over-kill?
Bradley,

Who told you that you need cross braces on the inside of your walls?

I've been a Farming Contractor for over 20 years and I've never once put in bracing on walls. However, this is not code here in NJ, it might be code where you're from. If the plans were approved without cross bracing, then there's nothing wrong it the way it's framed. If you want to put it in yourself, that's your choice.

If you want the contractor to do it when it's not necessary, you have to pay extra for something that's not needed, just to satisfy you.

Quote:
Would it be necassary to go back and add 2x10's above all interior doors?
Why, are they required? Did they fail framing inspection?

If you're framer is framing to code, why do you feel that you need interior cross braces and headers?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

You don't need the 2x10 headers with a truss roof there is typicaly no load in the inside walls. you don't need bracing if the walls are under 10' and even then only on the load bearing ones. Can't say if he is a good or bad contractor but as a home owner you are wrong in what you are asking about the bracing and headers so maybe you are wrong on the other stuff too. try to look at it with freash eyes and trust him again he's spot on here.

Advertisement

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote