Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bracing joists for a squeaky floor

Got a house built in 56 that has quite a few spots where the floor squeaks pretty bad. I've begun to notice that it appears the source of the squeaks is predominantly at seems in the sunfloor.

So here's my plan.... Use 2x4s as cross braces between joists where these seams occur. (I have easy access in basemen t underneath.) I did a "test" in one spot and squeak was removed, though still have a slight "creaking noise".

Before I go about doing this elsewhere just wanted to get opinions of more knowlegeable folks. Good plan? 2x4 sufficient or should I match to joist size? Joists are 2x8 16" OC with 13' spacing on steel beam. Am what I am doing helping or hurting structure of floor or joists? Finally, how do I attach cross beams that are in line on the adjacent joist space. I can only attach with screws on one side since other cross brace is on other side. Toenail screw? Or stagger my braces slightly?

Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Bridging has to be in line to be effective. Match joist size if you do solid bridging, 2x4's are ok if you do diagonal. Good link here... http://www.renovation-headquarters.c...20bridging.htm

BMS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #3

Agree with info in the link, but i do already have metal bridging on either side of the beam, so am I trying to add additional structural support or just stop a squeak?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #4

Sorry, thought you were looking for bridging to stop joist movement. Should have read more carefully. I'm doing same thing so I kind of have it on the brain.

Interestingly, I also have this problem where I need to support the subflooring between joists. I'm going to try 2"x4" first and instead of toe nailing or screwing, I'm using the Simpson Strong Tie brackets (the kind used mostly for building frames and decking, they have every configuration imaginable). They have screws you can use instead of nails for tight quarters like between joists. I may do 2"x6" or 2"x8" where I can just for more strength.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

Ok. Thx. I'll have to check those out as well. It seems that what I've done is helping the squeak and I'm sure is helping to provide support to the existing braces.

If I didnt have existing braces, I'd definitely do something like your link in first post. Or if i noticed the joists moving. I'm just trying to supply a little support to stop the subfloor from moving along the seam
Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Gotcha. Good luck. Glue the top edge of those supports with construction adhesive to the subfloor too when you put them up.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the subfloor is moving from the joists, a small shim end or adhesive (as said) could work. Or try a small metal right-angle bracket with screws to stabilize it. Baby powder from above works on a wood strip floor. Make sure the metal bridging is not touching, causing the noise.

Gary
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS98 View Post
Sorry, thought you were looking for bridging to stop joist movement. Should have read more carefully. I'm doing same thing so I kind of have it on the brain.

Interestingly, I also have this problem where I need to support the subflooring between joists. I'm going to try 2"x4" first and instead of toe nailing or screwing, I'm using the Simpson Strong Tie brackets (the kind used mostly for building frames and decking, they have every configuration imaginable). They have screws you can use instead of nails for tight quarters like between joists. I may do 2"x6" or 2"x8" where I can just for more strength.

A compressor and a palm nailer would make close quarter nailing much easier!
Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

Is it worth taking the two down I've done to apply construction adhesive or just leave as is.

Related question. If the metal bridging that is in place to be loose in a spot, can I just remove the bracing in that joist space and replace with new proper bracing?

I may have to look into that bracket idea Gary. That might be easier.