Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

bracing for 2x4 walls.

I have assembled walls to enclose an area 11' X 20'. one end is secured to an outside wall. there is no cieling, so the top is just open. the walls are not sturdy enough per the building inspector. he would not tell us what to do other than to say it must be more sturdy. we are planning on using two cross beams, each beam made up of two 2x6s nailed together. then using 2x4s cross ways to secure the encloser ends. will this work?

sfenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
In a little over my head

bracing for 2x4 walls.

Stud walls are usually braced with either a "let in" diagonal 1x4 or sheets of plywood or OSB. Either one needs to be installed at a corner, nailed to the stud on the end and the bottom plate. The idea is to make a diagonal, tying the corner stud and bottom plate together.

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

bracing for 2x4 walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfenno
I have assembled walls to enclose an area 11' X 20'. one end is secured to an outside wall. there is no cieling, so the top is just open. the walls are not sturdy enough per the building inspector. he would not tell us what to do other than to say it must be more sturdy. we are planning on using two cross beams, each beam made up of two 2x6s nailed together. then using 2x4s cross ways to secure the encloser ends. will this work?
What are you talking about? What walls.....what kind of rafters....more information.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

bracing for 2x4 walls.

Pictures Please.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

bracing for 2x4 walls.

A few questions. Are there two or three walls, and is one end of each fastened to a wall? Are they walls inside a building, and are the cross beams going to be from wall to wall of the building? Since you say there is no ceiling I am picturing a roof above the walls do not go up to, is this right?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote