DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Brace wall on concrete Base

13K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Elecman 
#1 ·
I need help with Bracing a Framed Wall that is going to sit on a concrete. Normally you would brace the wall by nailing a 2x4 to the top of the wall and the other end to the sub-floor, and of course this would be on the inside of the area to be completely framed. But, I have a concrete base and do not want to nail into the concrete base becuase it is going to be exposed. So how do I brace the wall when I have a concrete base?

#3 ·
Since the interior concrete floor canot be touched, find a way to brace from the exterior. Exterior bracing can be a little more difficult, but you just have to makes sure the stick wall is firmly supported. If the wall is not too high it can be done since mason contractors do it every day from the exterios if necessary.

I assume this is for squaring up ot temporary wind bracing if you have some sort of board on the walls.

Dick

#4 ·
Now I see whats going on...long day.

So, you an attach your angled braces to the top of the wall like you normally would. Then attach the other end to a square sheet of plywood or osb to form a "footing." Then, place something heavy on your top of your "footing" to prevent the footing from lifting up if the wind blows the other direction. I've seen this done with cmu block use to prevent the footing from lifting off the floor.

If its a large wall in height or width, sheath just enough to to give the wall stability, that way the wind will not be able to act on the full area of the wall. Then, when the wall is connected to something more substantial and permanent for bracing against wind, you can finish sheathing it.

#5 ·
is there a reason why the concrete floor can,t be touched??? the reason i,m asking is you could drill a 1/4" hole in the concrete floor and fasten the 2x blocks to the floor with Tapcon's and remove when finished and then fill the small holes with water plug. it will not be that noticable. just an Idea, i don't know your situation! BOB

#6 ·
I usually brace from the top wall plate across to the wall base plate on the other side of the room, may have nail two braces together to reach, but it'll work. You can also go from the top plate across a corner to the base plate of a perpendicular wall.

As long as the wall bases are anchored, they'll work for bracing points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.