Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #1

Share |

bowed ceiling

Hi All,
Molding question?
I am not sure where the right forum would be for this question.
Here is my dilemma. I am finishing my basement and after drywall installation by contractor, I have started to do the crown molding by myself. During installation, I have noticed that there is a big curve between the ceiling and the vertical wall. This vertical wall is a boxed corner to cover A/C duct.
As you can see in the picture, the distances between blue arrows, yellow arrows and red arrows are all different. The beigest difference is as much as one inch which is big. Does any body in this forum has any trick idea the I correct this ot just live with it.

Thanks for every body opinions.
Ali
Attached Thumbnails
bowed ceiling-img_3152-copy2.jpg  

akobari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

bowed ceiling

At this point, there isn't much you can do about it now...since the sheetrock is up.
Crown molding, like all trim work will bend. The problem is that, if there is that much difference (you say 1")...it will show it's wavyness. However, If you can live with that....

Only other suggestions I have is to NOT to put crown molding on that area (wall), because the crown molding will make it show more.
Off the top of my head, that is the best I can offer...outside of ripping off the sheetrock and trying to fix it.
Maybe there are some other suggestions out there.

(Tho, I would still suggest just putting the crown molding up first and taking a step back to see if you can live with it....)

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Master Craftsman

bowed ceiling

I agree with Atlantic. The only other option is to put it down from the ceiling 2 or 3 inches and install it straight. This will leave a gap between the crown and ceiling that you could put some accent lighting in and should help hide the bow.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #4

bowed ceiling

WTF. Typical answers from contractors. Here is an answer from a civilian. Get the drywall contractor or whomever boxed in the AC duct and get them to fix their sh*t work!

atilla137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

bowed ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilla137 View Post
WTF. Typical answers from contractors. Here is an answer from a civilian. Get the drywall contractor or whomever boxed in the AC duct and get them to fix their sh*t work!

ohh,....yah....reeaalll goooood Suggestion:

Yeah...go ahead and give that a try and see how quickly the drywaller comes back to fix it.....
especially since it is obvious that the FRAMING was screwed up and caused the warps....

..Genius.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
Master Craftsman

bowed ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post

Yeah...go ahead and give that a try and see how quickly the drywaller comes back to fix it.....
especially since it is obvious that the FRAMING was screwed up and caused the warps....

..Genius.....
Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #7

bowed ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post

..Genius.....
I said " the drywaller or whomever boxed in the AC"...
Isn't that the person that did the FRAMING?
Any mention of fixing shoddy work and you contractors get hot, huh?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Master Craftsman

bowed ceiling

Well maybe Akobari boxed it in. He is the one installing his own crown moulding. Are you saying that he screwed it up. Not to mention that the ceiling, which is the floor joist for the floor upstairs, was framed at the original construction of the home and Akobari is trying to work with what he was left with. As professionals we try to help correct the problem from the point he is at now and assume nothing.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #9

bowed ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Well maybe Akobari boxed it in. He is the one installing his own crown moulding. Are you saying that he screwed it up. Not to mention that the ceiling, which is the floor joist for the floor upstairs, was framed at the original construction of the home and Akobari is trying to work with what he was left with. As professionals we try to help correct the problem from the point he is at now and assume nothing.
I guess I have been letting my own experiences with contractors cloud my judgment. I am nearing the end of having my basement finished and the electrician has been amazing. I comment on this because I know that there are contractors that take pride in a job well done. BUT, I have also learned that there are contractors that shouldn't have a license, do terrible work and that getting them to fix their mistakes is next to impossible. I guess that when I am paying anywhere from $50 to $80 per hour I expect excellent work. How naive of me.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #10
Master Craftsman

bowed ceiling

Quote:
I guess I have been letting my own experiences with contractors cloud my judgment. I am nearing the end of having my basement finished and the electrician has been amazing. I comment on this because I know that there are contractors that take pride in a job well done. BUT, I have also learned that there are contractors that shouldn't have a license, do terrible work and that getting them to fix their mistakes is next to impossible. I guess that when I am paying anywhere from $50 to $80 per hour I expect excellent work. How naive of me.
I didn't mean to be so rude but I have learned to never assume anything. You are right though. When paying $50 to$80 an hour they should be doing top notch work and should be willing to fix their mistakes. I always make sure my customer is happy with my work before submitting for final payment. Have them fix things before paying. Always check for references and like I've heard it before, always skip the first one because it is usually a relative.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
DIY'er

bowed ceiling

Quote:

I can say, from a homeowners perspective, that both of these guys and the majority or the contractors on this website do nothing but look for solutions for homeowners or else why would the waste their time on this site. Before you make hasty judgements you should look at their old posts and see the countless homeowners they have helped with projects. Without them, there would be a lot of hopeless speculation, confusion and poor information floating around...dont bite the hand that feeds you...

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."

Last edited by dougrus; 10-23-2006 at 04:07 PM. Reason: type-o
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #12

bowed ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I didn't mean to be so rude but I have learned to never assume anything. You are right though. When paying $50 to$80 an hour they should be doing top notch work and should be willing to fix their mistakes. I always make sure my customer is happy with my work before submitting for final payment. Have them fix things before paying. Always check for references and like I've heard it before, always skip the first one because it is usually a relative.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #13

bowed ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrus View Post
Let me preface by saying that I am not a contractor...
I can say, from a homeowners perspective, that both of these guys and the majority or the contractors on this website do nothing but look for solutions for homeowners or else why would the waste their time on this site. Before you make hasty judgements you should look at their old posts and see the countless homeowners they have helped with projects. Without them, there would be a lot of hopeless speculation, confusion and poor information floating around...dont bite the hand that feeds you...
Scroll up and down. I explained about the first post and I guess I was painting with a very broad brush. I KNOW that the contractors on this message board provide their time and experience for free. And for that I applaud them!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #14

bowed ceiling

I apologize for any offense.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
DIY'er

bowed ceiling

Yes, I did read the post in its entirety...I just wanted to put in my 2c...
That being said, I respect the fact that you made it right....

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote