Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #1

Share |

bouncing floor

Hello Every one,
My problem is an old one, I recently purchased a older home with what they call a bouncing floor, I sistered all the 14 ft joist's on each side with 11ft joist's then blocked one to the other. Will the over all added integerity be greater than the added weight of the sistered joist's.

R13579a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #2

bouncing floor

R13579a:

Absolutely.

Your question would be a plausible one if a joist were barely strong enough to support it's own weight. In that case there would be some question as to whether or not sistering the joists would increase the load carrying capacity of the floor. As you undoubtedly are aware, any dimensional lumber is much more than capable of supporting it's own weight, so by sistering your joists your floor will now be much stronger than before.

People in here don't like my saying this, but you can ALSO strengthen your floor by increasing the height of your existing floor joists. That is, you can make a 2X10 into a 2X12 or even a 2X14 by adding wood to the bottom of your joists. All that is required is:

1. That the wood you add be as strong as the original wood or stronger so that it can support as much load as the original wood could have, and

2. That the strength of the glued joint between the old wood and new wood be as strong as the original wood or stronger so that the glue can support the same load in shear that the original wood could have.

As long as the wood you add and the joint between the new and old wood is as strong or stronger than the original wood would have been, you'll have a joist that's as strong or stronger than a 2X(whatever) of the original wood would have been.

And, if you don't believe me, just pop down to your local University and start snooping around the engineering building at lunch time to see if you can find some prof having jam sandwiches for lunch. Knock on the door and ask if the stuff the guy on the internet said is right or if he's full of it.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #3

Smile

bouncing floor

Hello Nestor
Thank you for all your input regarding my project, my 1st thought's were the same as your advice summited. I was getting conflicting information on how to do the job that's why i summited the question to D I Y.The floor is absolutely stronger and i am not 100% finished.
Thank You
More Project's to come
Rick
R13579a is offline   Reply With Quote