Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #1

Share |

Bottom Plate for Stud Wall

Hello,

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am going to use 2x4 lumber for the stud wall and bottom/top plates. I first laid down a subfloor (http://www.ovrx.com/basement-flooring.html) going up to the concrete foundation walls (leaving a small gap for expansion), its XPS foam board on bottom, with OSB tongue and groove wood on top, the product is supposedly 1 1/8" thick. I am going to place my stud wall on top of the subfloor.

My question is, what is the best way to attach the bottom plate to the floor (through the subfloor and anchor to the concrete slab)? I was looking into the powder actuated fasteners, but the max length of the nails for that is 3", that doesn't seem long enough, anyone know if they make 3.5"?

3" pin - 1.5" bottom plate - 1 1/8" subfloor = 3/8" embedment of pin into concrete (actuated fasteners call for 1" min.). If they made a 3 1/2" pin, that would be good, but I can not find those anywhere. Is 3/8" embedment into concrete enough since it is being attached to the OSB subfloor, plus going into concrete? I couldnt find 3.5" concrete nails either. Would i need to use a longer tapcon screw? I didnt want to have to drill that many holes, and then screw in the concrete tapcon screws. I have approx 150' of bottom plate to be attached, so at 4' centers for anchoring, your talking 35-40 anchors minimum.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

svaic00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

Your wall studs should sit on the concrete floor...not on top of the subfloor you laid down.

pkrapp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaic00
Hello,

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am going to use 2x4 lumber for the stud wall and bottom/top plates. I first laid down a subfloor (http://www.ovrx.com/basement-flooring.html) going up to the concrete foundation walls (leaving a small gap for expansion), its XPS foam board on bottom, with OSB tongue and groove wood on top, the product is supposedly 1 1/8" thick. I am going to place my stud wall on top of the subfloor.

My question is, what is the best way to attach the bottom plate to the floor (through the subfloor and anchor to the concrete slab)? I was looking into the powder actuated fasteners, but the max length of the nails for that is 3", that doesn't seem long enough, anyone know if they make 3.5"?

3" pin - 1.5" bottom plate - 1 1/8" subfloor = 3/8" embedment of pin into concrete (actuated fasteners call for 1" min.). If they made a 3 1/2" pin, that would be good, but I can not find those anywhere. Is 3/8" embedment into concrete enough since it is being attached to the OSB subfloor, plus going into concrete? I couldnt find 3.5" concrete nails either. Would i need to use a longer tapcon screw? I didnt want to have to drill that many holes, and then screw in the concrete tapcon screws. I have approx 150' of bottom plate to be attached, so at 4' centers for anchoring, your talking 35-40 anchors minimum.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
The bottom plate gets nailed to the sunfool and nothing else.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
The bottom plate gets nailed to the sunfool and nothing else.
The subfloor is a floating subfloor though, I wanted to anchor the wall down into the concrete, and anchor the edges of the floating subfloor down for when i go to pull carpet, the subfloor wont be pulled up, or buckle upwards.
svaic00 is offline   Reply With Quote