Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Beer Advocate

Share |

Bottom plate fastening?

I have non load bearing walls I need to secure to the basement floor. I have been told by a handful of people different ways to do it. I want the easiest fastest way for this application. I was going the route of tap-cons but it seems that it could be overkill according to some. My only reason for this was if I had a wall a touch out I could unscrew the tapcon and re-position.

So anyways here are my options.

Tapcon, which means I need to buy a hammer drill.

Nail gun via the .22 charge. Seems these are not very expensive to my suprise.

Someother type of nail that needs pre-drilled then hammered in.

And someone from work told me about some other nails that need some massive pounding but no pre-drill.

Anyways what would you guys reccomend?

Thanks

Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Crabby Bastard

Bottom plate fastening?

if you don't want to drill into concrete, you really only have two options, shoot it with the .22 cal gun, or get a box of masonry nails and BFH (Big F'ing Hammer ) and get whacking. if your house is old this might be harder than you think. concrete continues to cure, so 80 year old concrete is typically harder than 10 year old concrete ( not always, but you get the idea) also depends on where you live. typically 20 year old concrete in florida is much softer than 20 year old concrete in the northeast . ( again, these are just generalizations, no need to start a big debate on this.)

keep in mind that neither of these two options will remove easily if you need to make adjustments. if you can rent or borrow a hammer drill, there are many inexpensive anchor options that will be easier to install, hold better, and allow you to remore easily if you need to.

a final thought to keep in mind, tapcons are not designed to be reused. if you end up going this route and need to reposition, throw the removed tapcons away and use new ones in a new hole

terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Beer Advocate

Bottom plate fastening?

Thanks for the tips, my concrete is about 1 1/2 years old now. So I am hoping its not to tough!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
General Contractor

Bottom plate fastening?

To keep the plate from skating, a concrete nail and the big hammer will do it. Set one every 4 feet or so, and you don't have to drive them home, just sink them so you know you penetrate the floor.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Beer Advocate

Bottom plate fastening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
To keep the plate from skating, a concrete nail and the big hammer will do it. Set one every 4 feet or so, and you don't have to drive them home, just sink them so you know you penetrate the floor.

How do you keep from bending over then nail when slamming it with such a heavy hammer?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #6

Bottom plate fastening?

this is where skill comes in..what is nice about the BFH is,you let the hammer do the work...don't hit too hard ,and watch your fingers!
johnrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Bottom plate fastening?

Those nails will break very easily ,so wear eye protection.

As long as you hit the nail square on ,it shouldn't break/bend.
It may take a few tries.
You could help by drilling pilot holes in the wood just a little smaller than the nail to help insure a straight shot through the sill.
I use PT lumber for the sills and put 15# felt under the plate to isolate it from a damp floor.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Beer Advocate

Bottom plate fastening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
Those nails will break very easily ,so wear eye protection.

As long as you hit the nail square on ,it shouldn't break/bend.
It may take a few tries.
You could help by drilling pilot holes in the wood just a little smaller than the nail to help insure a straight shot through the sill.
I use PT lumber for the sills and put 15# felt under the plate to isolate it from a damp floor.

What sized hammer do I need for this? And would it just be as easy to buy the .22 charged nailer?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Bottom plate fastening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
How do you keep from bending over then nail when slamming it with such a heavy hammer?
It's a hardened nail with a thicker diameter. They do not bend like normal brite framing nails.

Example: http://www.dfsusa.com/concrete_nails.asp
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Crabby Bastard

Bottom plate fastening?

As you probably guessed from your previous question, and my ongoing debate with Atlantic WB, i am a fan of shooting with powder actuated. It's fast, easy and very low cost (despite what others may think--lol) with that being said, if you just have a few 2x's to put down, you might want to simply try concrete nails and the BFH first. like joasis said, you don't have to even sink the heads all the way, you just want to keep it from moving side to side.

if that doesn't work, you could always go out and purchase a powder tool. if you do get a gun, try to find 2-1/4 WASHERED pins, and green loads . with powder you only want the nail in 1" or less into concrete. if you do and want tips on how to use safely, post here and i'm sure you will get plenty of advice
Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Beer Advocate

Bottom plate fastening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
It's a hardened nail with a thicker diameter. They do not bend like normal brite framing nails.

Example: http://www.dfsusa.com/concrete_nails.asp

Ah so you pre-drill for the BFH / Nail combo. I had a co-worker here telling me he didn't pre-drill and just bashed them into the concrete. Pre-drilling once again requires a hammer drill though. Do you have to pre-drill when using powder actuated?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Crabby Bastard

Bottom plate fastening?

you don't have to predrill on either
Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Crabby Bastard

Bottom plate fastening?

when you go to buy the concrete nails, you will usually find two styles. on looks like a flat triangle, these are commonly called "cut nails" . the other looks more like a framing nail, usually fluted like a drill bit. If you go to a smaller, ace hardware , type place they may stock on style. either one should work fine for what you are doing. just make sure you are getting a hardened masonry nail, and not a brite finish framing nail
Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
Beer Advocate

Bottom plate fastening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_and_jj View Post
you don't have to predrill on either
Why does it say this : Application Specs:
Predrill a 3/16" Pilot Hole through object and into concrete. Drive Concrete Nail with a 2lb. hammer until fluch with object. Minimum Embedment = 1"

Is that just to make it easier to go in?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Crabby Bastard

Bottom plate fastening?

not sure what you are reading, but it sounds like directions for a zamac concrete nail-in anchor, not a concrete nail