I live in Florida and we had a recent cold snap so I went out and purchased fake logs for our fireplace which never gets used. I have no experience with fireplaces, the house came with one more for looks than function here in the south.
Anyway, went to clean it out today and the whole bottom is cracked up. What can I do to fix this? Is their a special cement I can fill it in with? Or can I use tile on the bottom, such as slate? The fireplace is 24 yrs old and I dont know who made it, it is double sided. It is not worth the expense to replace the whole unit here in Florida as I have maybe used it 3 or times in 5 yrs, my Wife lights candles in it quite often though.
If were to tile it over on the bottom with slate and cannot light a fire logs in the fireplace again, can I purchase one of those fake electric logs? Do they look like the real thing and do they look the same from both sides?