Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #1

Share |

Bonus Room questions - FROG

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to address the heating and cooling issues with my FROG. Summer time, it is awfully hot and the room is not usable. Winter time, the room is cold but bearable. It currently has carpeting but I am planning on ripping out the carpet and put in new flooring.

It looks like I have my work cut out for me here because in the storage rooms from both sides--need to be finished. Meaning the insulation needs to be put in under the roof that is the "ceiling" of the storage rooms. I guess both storage rooms need to be properly insulate and sealed.

I just read some posts about insulation under the floor board or gaps between the floor and garage ceiling...I may have an issue there. I sincerely doubt that it was properly insulated since I drilled a couple of holes in the garage ceiling and did not find any evidence of insulation. So if insulation is a must to address this heating/cooling issue for the FROG, I will rip off the ceiling from the garage--and insulate and seal it.

Now back to the flooring...which type of flooring would help with the room temperature issues in the FROG room better--ceramic tiles or hardwood floor? I figure if the Space Shuttle is covered with ceramic tiling to withstand heat while re-entering the earth's atmosphere, then surely tile flooring can block the heat from garage and prevent it from rising above to the FROG. The garage is not climate controlled but maybe I will install a portable AC/Heater in the future. Right now, my focus is on addressing room temperature issues in my FROG since it is my home office. The ceiling fan is not cutting it and it does have to vents for heating and cooling...but the temperature from the garage seems to defeat my efforts to control the temp in the FROG.

Please advise on where should I start and/or if I am on the right track with everything I said above. If hardwood flooring is still an option or if I should add something else to the floorboard to keep the heat from rising instead of ripping the ceiling from below...I would consider that as well. I just want to do it right the first time and not having to tackle this issue again when the flooring gets done.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-John

Last edited by kamig1; 04-06-2010 at 12:45 AM.
kamig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #2

What's a FROG?

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #3

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to address the heating and cooling issues with my FROG. Summer time, it is awfully hot and the room is not usable. Winter time, the room is cold but bearable. It currently has carpeting but I am planning on ripping out the carpet and put in new flooring.

It looks like I have my work cut out for me here because in the storage rooms from both sides--need to be finished. Meaning the insulation needs to be put in under the roof that is the "ceiling" of the storage rooms. I guess both storage rooms need to be properly insulate and sealed.

I just read some posts about insulation under the floor board or gaps between the floor and garage ceiling...I may have an issue there. I sincerely doubt that it was properly insulated since I drilled a couple of holes in the garage ceiling and did not find any evidence of insulation. So if insulation is a must to address this heating/cooling issue for the FROG, I will rip off the ceiling from the garage--and insulate and seal it.

Now back to the flooring...which type of flooring would help with the room temperature issues in the FROG room better--ceramic tiles or hardwood floor? I figure if the Space Shuttle is covered with ceramic tiling to withstand heat while re-entering the earth's atmosphere, then surely tile flooring can block the heat from garage and prevent it from rising above to the FROG. The garage is not climate controlled but maybe I will install a portable AC/Heater in the future. Right now, my focus is on addressing room temperature issues in my FROG since it is my home office. The ceiling fan is not cutting it and it does have to vents for heating and cooling...but the temperature from the garage seems to defeat my efforts to control the temp in the FROG.

Please advise on where should I start and/or if I am on the right track with everything I said above. If hardwood flooring is still an option or if I should add something else to the floorboard to keep the heat from rising instead of ripping the ceiling from below...I would consider that as well. I just want to do it right the first time and not having to tackle this issue again when the flooring gets done.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-John
kamig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

Please do not post the same question multiple times & not on other threads
Stick to one thread
Thank you
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote