Bonus Room Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bonus room issue

I recently purchased a new home with a bonus room above the garage. I was very happy when I purchased the home to find out it had a 3 zone heating and cooling unit. The problem I have is the AC in the bonus room zone runs alot even during spring and fall when it's not that hot outside. I have investigated the insulation and it looks good. I was planning on letting this go one more summer but when the energy company sent out a flyer saying they are going to raise the rates during the summer months I decided to make this a higher priority.

Could this be caused by what I have read about as radiant heat? If so what could I do to fix this problem? I have read about an seen on some HGTV shows that closed cell spray foam insulation fixes this problem but don't know if this really works. I also found online that a foil faced insulation will reflect radiant heat. Has anyone tried either of these if so which one works or if both work which one works better?

Advertisement

ltravis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bonus room issue

Where are you located ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Bonus room issue

Western Colorado in a desert climate very little humidity.
ltravis12 is offline   Reply With Quote