Bolting Rigid Awning To House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bolting Rigid Awning To House

I'm headed off to the welder later today to have an awning frame built to cover the first 6.5 feet of my deck. What I'm lost on is how to tie this acrylic/polycarbonate awning into the exterior wall of the house.

I'm going to get panels similar to what are used in greenhouses to make a clear sloped awning and the welder should probably be able to figure out the framing design. Since I have very thick stucco, I'm concerned about how I can bolt the top of this apparatus to the wall. My initial thoughts were to bolt maybe a piece of heavy aluminum angle across the top and then build off from there.

The wood frames on either side will be "green walls" and the framing will be bolted to the top of either side. I also thought I might remove that unnecessary gutter below the balcony and just flash off that onto the awning, but that might look a bit trashy.

Here's a pic of the side angle. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Advertisement

thetalkingmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

Why are you building this out of steel and not just using wooden rafters?
Pressure treated wood in direct contact with even galvinized metal will corrode. Going to have to somehow insolate the two materials.

Your also going to have to cut into the stucco in order to be able to flash where the wall meets the roofing.

http://www.roofkey.com/roof-to-wall-intersections.html

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 09-11-2012 at 11:41 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Have you asked the awning company if they could install the frame for you?

Is that real stucco or Dryvit? What ever it is be sure to sea any penetrations well so water wil not get behind the stucco---