Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

bolting rafter ties

Im doing an addition with a cathedral ceiling and using 2X10" rafter ties doubled up 48" o/c and they call for bolting them in -- what type/size/quantity bolts should I use for this? thx jp

yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

bolting rafter ties

who calls for "bolting" them? if it is shown in your drawings I'd contact the designer to inquire what they wanted

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

bolting rafter ties

Rafter ties, or collar ties? Are these 2nd level floor joists, or the ceiling for the 2nd floor?

Last edited by Willie T; 08-21-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

bolting rafter ties

Yes, who "they" is?
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

bolting rafter ties

ah the proverbial "they"! I am talking about 2"X10" rafter ties that will be 1'-4" above the top plates of the second floor, doubled up on the rafters, 48" OC. I'm gong to "box" them so they will appear as exposed beams above. my understanding is this is a pretty common way to do a cathedral ceiling w/o going to a structural ridge beam. there will be collar ties 2/3 of the way up the gable which will be where the ceiling of the room is. as to the "they", when I've read about going this way bolting the rafter ties seems to be called for. seems to make sense given what you'd be asking them to do. hope this clarifies. and thx as always john p
yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

bolting rafter ties

You could check the nailing schedule within your building code to determine the size and number of fasteners required.

The type, number and size of fasteners is determined based upon the species, grade and size of wood used, and loads to be resisted.

another thing to consider, as you move the rafter tie up (in the lower 1/3 of the attic space) from the top of the wall there is a reduction in the strength of your rafters.

for example see the "Rafter Span Adjustment Factor" under Table 802.5.1(1) of the 2009 International Residential Code. I cannot say whether this code applies to your local area or not, however wood is wood

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_8_sec002.htm

Also you need to know what your energy code is for your area. cathedral ceilings are typically limited in area for reduction in compliance with the energy code requirements.

For example in my area we are required to have R-38 ceiling/roof insulation. A 2x10 rafter with insulation baffle (for vented roof) will provide R-30 when using HD fiberglass batt insulation. We are limited to 500 s.f. or 20% of the total insulated ceiling area, whichever is less.

good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote