Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Theres more then one way.

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bolting (2) 1-7/8 LVL's with 1/2 bolts

I have two 1-7/8 x 11-7/8 LVL's which span 22' for a gutter which are bowed.

When i placed the two beams in i tried to use "their bowing" against one an other, kind of like setting the shape of the letter 'u' on top of the shape of the letter 'n', used a bunch of "C"-clamps and nailed the two beams together but i think it can be better so im thinking of drilling (3) 1/2 holes just above center and tossing in some hex bolts.

I would have called the place (Pro Build) where they where bought from to get specs, but its sunday and they are closed.

Do "you" think its OK to do something like this ?

[edit]
Also, will it be ok to drill two 7/8 or 1" holes towards the ends to run pex tubing for radiant heat ?

_

Last edited by iMisspell; 10-19-2008 at 06:51 AM.
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #2

Bolting the LVL's together is fine.

Drilling holes in the LVL's can be fine as well. Go to the manufacturers website for spec's on drilling holes. Typically, holes should be drilled in the center of the member (vertically). A 1" hole is not really a big deal so long as you space them out (6" minimum). Also, don't put them too close to the supports, I'd recommend staying at least 12" from any support.

Good luck.

HCI Blogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #3

Bolting is fine.

As for drilling holes make sure you don't drill at the bottom. This is the strongest point of the beam and that can cause it to buckle.

When you drill holes the bottom of the hole should be at the center of the beam. Depending on the size of the beam there are limits as to what size hole you can drill.

Before you drill holes for hydronic heating get the inserts and see what size they are. You will have to put these in to keep the pipe from chaffing on the wood as it expands and contracts. I would go with 1/2" pex. It is easier to bend and gives off more heat per cu in of water. There are different kinds of sleeves for these and they vary in size. The ones I use are 7/8". Some are 1".

Remember that you can't undrill a hole so think it out before you start drilling.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #4

It is definately unnecessary to bolt two 1-3/4" LVL's together. Nails are just fine, provided you've followed the manufacturer's nail pattern requirements. That being said, there's nothing wrong with bolts either. It is overkill and you won't gain anything from it though.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Theres more then one way.

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Before you drill holes for hydronic heating get the inserts and see what size they are.
Many thanks for mentioning this, well look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
It is overkill...
The inspector was here last week for a foot-drain inspection and i was showing him some of the stuff i was doing. One thing was, theres a 14' 8" poured wall which then continues 8' framed. I lagged the framed wall to the poured with 1/2x8" lags in three places and snapped two... i showed him and he said it was over kill any way.

Being this is the first time im under taking a project of this size (22x22 addition, basement will be work shop/music room, main floor will be master-bed) i would rather over kill even if it cost a little more in material (being im saving a ton in labor doing it myself) and not have to worry about any thing down the line nor will the next home owner 35yrs later.

Thanks again guys.

_

Last edited by iMisspell; 10-19-2008 at 05:17 PM.
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lvl