Bodyguard Wood Siding Experience? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Bodyguard wood siding experience?

Hi all how are you doing?

Just wondering whether anyone here has any experience with BodyGuard Wood Siding? Is it good to use for siding skirtboard purposes? If not, any recommendation about what type of skirtboard to use? PVC?? Thanks!

I found this product called versatex innovative stealth corner and skirtboard, any experience about this product? Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by ohman; 11-12-2012 at 12:48 AM.
ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Got a picture if where your thinking about using it?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

cpvc skirt board will last a long time,the skirt is the board to go bad on the wall quickly if just using whitewood, etc so cpvc will last many years. if you paint the cpvc a dark color it will need a colorfast treatment to keep it from expanding and moving around from the weather, white or light colored paint and no problems...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a picture if where your thinking about using it?
Yes here are two photos:

and

I went to their website and found that they claim to be rot-resistant (I guess these are treated wood). However in their FAQ they still recommend to be 6 inches above the ground. I'm considering to use PVC skirting board for the bottom, but so far I can't find any local home center sell those products (weird)... any thoughts or comments? If we use BodyGuard wood siding as the skirt board, and use a Z (or L-shaped) stainless steel flashing to protect water to come in from the bottom (I guess cosmetic-wise it won't look very nice but functionally should make sense), would that work? Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Bodyguard is finger jointed treated NZ pine. I wouldn’t use it for what you’re wanting to do.

Go to a real lumber yard (not a box store) and ask about Azek.

Where is this wall in relationship to the wall in your other thread?

You have a real mess going on there. In your other thread you mention a siding contractor, are you hiring this out or are you planning to diy?

Starting multiple threads on the same issue helps no one.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Go to a real lumber yard (not a box store) and ask about Azek.

Where is this wall in relationship to the wall in your other thread?

You have a real mess going on there. In your other thread you mention a siding contractor, are you hiring this out or are you planning to diy?

Starting multiple threads on the same issue helps no one.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I hijacked the other thread by accident and that's why I started this new thread based on people's recommendation. Sorry about this.

The location of this wall: it's outside facing the backyard so it's a exterior wall. I'm planning to diy as a minor repair with some help from a handyman friend.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 712

Lowes, Home Depot, any local siding supply, or lumber yard should have it.
I get mine from a siding supplyer so I can buy 16' pieces.
I apply silicone along the slab and along the bottom plate before installing it, use stainless steel trim head screws or heavy gauge 3" long hot dipped finish nails.
The right Z moulding only stucks out a tiny amount. It's the same stuff they use at the tops of T-111 panels if the walls over 8' tall.
If that's vinyl siding your also going to need a strip of J molding to set the siding in.
If the siding needs to be cut to width you take the piece you cut off and lay it in the J moulding before installing the siding so it holds the siding tight to the J moulding.
If it's wood siding make sure any cuts get primed and painted, and skip the J moulding.
Do not just butt the pieces, cut a 45 and over lap them. Apply PVC cement on the joint taking care to not get it on the face or it will stain it.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote