Boat Dock And Encapsulated Float - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Boat Dock and encapsulated float

I have a 30 years old boat dock that is rock solid made of some Iron\steel. it is showing some slight aging and rust at areas that are closer to touching water, I plan to replace those pieces with galvanized steel. But my question today is more related to the Floats. Recently, the corp of Engineer which operates Lake Eufaula - in Oklahoma- is mandating encapsulated floats (instead of Styrofoam) for new or renewal permits. Luckily for me, I still have 1.5 year before my permit expires.

I honestly cannot afford to buy encapsulated floats AND pay someone to install them. The boat dock has two slips and will take a lot of those floats, which translate to a lot of $$$. Do you know of a cheaper way to go about this? maybe cheaper used floats? I'm pretty handy and can install them with the help of friends but we have never seen this type of work done before or know how!!! any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Last edited by bekind42; 08-05-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: add more info.
bekind42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

take this advice the way you want or discard it...but 55 gallon plasitc drums work beautifully.....built lot of these in
SC there are cheap..easy and stabble...you can usually buy these barrels from feed stores or vegatable processors...they have a rubber seal and screw on lids.......

Advertisement

ropers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply.

I wish the dram solution would work in my case. Unfortunately, the Corp have specific guidelines on the material to use down to a warranty statement from the manufacturer. Here is a link to their regulation.
bekind42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind42 View Post
I have a 30 years old boat dock that is rock solid made of some Iron\steel. it is showing some slight aging and rust at areas that are closer to touching water, I plan to replace those pieces with galvanized steel. But my question today is more related to the Floats. Recently, the corp of Engineer which operates Lake Eufaula - in Oklahoma- is mandating encapsulated floats (instead of Styrofoam) for new or renewal permits. Luckily for me, I still have 1.5 year before my permit expires.

I honestly cannot afford to buy encapsulated floats AND pay someone to install them. The boat dock has two slips and will take a lot of those floats, which translate to a lot of $$$. Do you know of a cheaper way to go about this? maybe cheaper used floats? I'm pretty handy and can install them with the help of friends but we have never seen this type of work done before or know how!!! any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
It doesn't look like encapsulated floats are all that expensive:
http://www.dockfloatsupply.com/Dockfloat.asp

Like the other poster says, you can also use plastic drums, which go for about $20 each and float about 600lbs. If it were mine, I'd just buy the dock floats - they are easy to use and not that expensive.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,278

The regs say you can keep using your old nonencapsulated floats if they haven't deteriorated to the point that they won't keep the dock afloat so keep using the old ones. Replace a few as needed every year with the new floats. You ought to be able to replace the floats yourself - especially when you have an existing floating dock and can do it one by one. If needed a local teenager could help you.

Or, if you are the ornery type you can do the following: The regs don't specify approved manufacturers or encapsulation techniques or any actual performance criteria. It just requires an 8 yr warranty from the mfg which is meaningless. So file a dba for "John Doe Encapsulated Floats". Your new company can get some nonencapsulated floats and "manufacture" some encapsulated floats by painting/coating them with anything that won't mess them up. Write up a fancy 10 year warranty. Sell them to yourself with a bill of sale and the fancy warranty. (Don't sell them to anyone else or you'll have to honor the warranty.) Give the dock permit office a copy of the warranty for your new special encapsulated floats manufactured by "John Doe Encapsulated Floats".
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock