Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Bluwood? Is it safe?

Anyone have any thoughts on the product Bluwood? It seems like a good idea, but am wondering if it is worth the added cost. Plus wondering on the safeness of it since it is relatively new. Don't want to get 10 years from now and they find out whatever chemicals they used to make it are now highly toxic to humans.

TxJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

Bluwood? Is it safe?

There's no place in my are that sells the stuff. Even if there was, I have no concerns about fungus or termites in my house so I wouldn't use it. And I'm with you about the toxicity thing - no way I'd use the stuff for interior walls.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

Bluwood? Is it safe?

I'd like to price some of this stuff for my basement studs. Can't find any local's that have it...
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Bluwood? Is it safe?

First, it is just wood that is organic and moves with moisture and temperature. There are better materials to use depending of where is will be located and how it will be used/protected.

There is a long history of treated wood failures that have been eliminated from use because the history of effects show up later. The replacement treatment methods have degraded the preservative effects and made them more "user friendly", but that can change as the effects show up later. Once it is installed, you have to live with the effects.

I suspect the blue color is for marketing effects to separate it from the earlier problematic materials.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 01-13-2012 at 01:03 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Bluwood? Is it safe?

Just use a reguler pressure treated bottom plate and reguler studs and it will be fine.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Bluwood? Is it safe?

blue wood is treated with borate.. a product that has been in use for quite some time and proven to be safe. pressure treated lumber on the other hand has had many incarnations which have had many different chemicals in it which are harmful.

as for price range, its roughly the same price as what the same dimension lumber would be in pressure treated.. here a 2x4x96" pt runs $5 shelf price. blue wood is the same
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

Bluwood? Is it safe?

Concerns about indoor air quality (IAQ) due to mould growth have increased dramatically over the past decade in Canada and USA.
In the absense of proper moisture management, mould resistant coated material is required to control mould establishment.

Bluwood is an ideal mould resistant coating to prevent indoor mould growth on wood-based materials. Bluwood provides long-term protection under conditions of high humidity. Bluwood is designed for indoor use. It is non-toxic, nonvolatile, odourless and safe-to-use.

Any number of reasons may be responsible for excess moisture in existing structures such as original design, poor construction practice, poor site drainage, leaky roof or plumbing, improper ventilation, etc. Chronic moisture in a structure can lead to cascading biological succession from mould fungi to decay fungi to insect (termites) infestation.
Bluwood is part of the solution to reduce IAQ issues and provides peace of mind. It is very costly to remove mould contaminated framing components compared to contaminated drywall. Typical remediation cost for a 10'x10' room is $25,000.
R_Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #8

Bluwood? Is it safe?

Thank you for all that have responded so far!

TxJack is offline   Reply With Quote