Blueboard Panel Size For Strength - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Blueboard panel size for strength

Hello,

Framing out a room in the attic of our 107 year old house with hip roof.
The house is all plaster and am keeping that up into the attic.
I have re-done the old 3 coat in a couple of rooms.
For the attic I am going to bring up some 5/8" blueboard and veneer plaster.
11' tall walls.

No building code to contend with.

My challenge...
I can't carry 4 X 8' sheets up the from 1st to 2nd story.
I could carry 4 X 6' up. So I could get 4 X 12' and cut in to and then carry them up.

Another option....
I could bring the 4 X 8' through a second story window and then I am able to bring those sheets up the stairs from 2nd story to attic.

The roof is on 24" centers which works fine with the 4 X 6' sheets.
If I bring the 4 X 6' sheets up I will need to frame the walls out at 24".

I need this to be able to accommodate the slight tremble of the house when coal loaded train cars go by about 150 yards away.

18" centers on the walls would work for the 6' sheets but that is not a wall dimension that is used.

I guess with 24" wall centers I am concerned about the strength even though I know it is used, but again these are 11' walls and with some tremble from a nearby train.

I am concerned that I may reduce strength/integrity of the wall by cutting the 4 X 12' panels to 6' lengths.

Would you please comment on my concerns and/or offer your experience/advice on this.
It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Advertisement

jefsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

no issues with cutting the boards.. these offer no structural integrity to speak off. Use a backer board for the seams. Butt joints should not be on a stud anyway. You need fireblocking on these walls due to height. do not put them where the sheet seams are located. with 5/8" the 24" OC studs are fine. Green building will use 24" spacing everywhere.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the information.

A little deeper for my own clarification if you don't mind. I am pretty new at this as I am sure you can see.

Assumption is that your response was in 24" OC.
I was planning on installing horizontally but will do whatever is best in this situation.

The wall will be 11 X 18 so I just need to make sure on one stud I have only 1 butt joint matched to a taper joint from the next piece correct?

"Use a backer board for the seams."
Is that simply to say a 6" strip horizontally on the seams between the studs?

I guess just using the drywall screws for securing the backerboard is ok?
Do you mind sharing that method or have a URL/resource I could go after to get the specifics on backer board seams?

Again....
Thank you very much,

Jeffrey
Old 01-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 602

I'm still trying to figure out why your going with plaster if you have such an issue with the trains. Drywall would be far less likly to crack. Take far less time, will strenghten the wall. And look the same as plaster or better.
I must be missing something, why would anyone use foam panels on the inside face of a wall, it has 0 strength, will not hold screws well, does nothing to contol racking, gives off toxic fumes if it burns.
I could see if you wanted to put it between the studs for insulation.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

typo... sorry. I am referring to butt-board. It is a board with tapered outside edges. This will pull the butt edge of the drywall inward so no hump in the compound exists. Foam over the studs eliminates thermal bridging, between the studs is simply more work and R-Value loss of about 25%.
Image attached shows how to make one.
Attached Images

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,032

I would try to keep the tall wall from racking with that much vibration. Close nail-pattern on the bottom plate- paper tape, not mesh for strength-pp.264: http://www.curee.org/projects/EDA/do...A03-public.pdf , additional drywall fasteners at bottom/top plates, adhesive on studs, let-in wood (or nail-on) bracing; http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...n-the-outside/ and extra rows of shear-blocking dividing the height into thirds. Horizontal application (with the "grain') is much stronger with the longest length board you can get through the access; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...U1o3kfoOlKl-7Q

Joe, blueboard not blue foam board: http://www.usg.com/imperial-gypsum-b...code-core.html Been there, done that....

Gary
Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

There are drywall suppliers that will deliver with a boom truck straight to the second floor for a small extra fee. At my age, and with 5/8 drywall, I'd pay that delivery fee no questions asked. You could use then 8' lengths, which will make your walls stronger and cut down the number of joints to tape.

If you are concerned about the vibrations, just use double the number of screws.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #8

Thank you very much for the information. Just what I was looking for.

I just spent the past 2 hours reading about the mentioned things, particularly bracing and shear blocking. It looks like the shear blocking could take care of the bracing.
I am doing the walls with 2 X 6's.

I was planning on boarding and plastering both sides of the wall. I guess I could sheath with plywood(seems to be strongest method of shear blocking). I really don't mind going over board a bit, the cost won't add up too much extra as this is only one room I am doing.
Then it would be blueboard over the plywood.

I wonder if the inset shear blocking would be effective without using the threaded rod? It seams it should be as this just places the plywood on the inside of the wall studs. By using the 2 X 6 walls I could just frame an inner box on the inside of the 16" centers made out of 2 X 4's and add the plywood to that.

The 1 X 4 let ins would be easy to do and are tried and tested but using the plywood seems to be hands down much better method, even though both are still acceptable means.

Any more input on the above mentioned things?

Thanks,
Jeffrey
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

Your plan seems wasteful to me. 5/8" drywall over the studs should provide all of the shear strength you need.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abracaboom For This Useful Post:
Bob Mariani (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #10

Very thankful for all who take time to give their experience/knowledge and time to help others.

I am definitely here to learn.
I do appreciate the input from everyone.
I believe this proverb to be very true....
Proverbs 15:22
Plans fail for lack of counsel,
but with many advisers they succeed.

I am here to gather input from different views/experience and apply to my situation.

When I was re-wiring the house about 1.5 years ago I remember sitting on the floor in the attic (2 1/2 stories up, about 23' above ground) pulling wires and a train went by loaded with coal. I believe the floor probably swayed what felt like about an inch.
At that point I had a better understanding why I had to re-plaster some walls and repair cracks/ceilings in the 100+ year old wood lath and plaster walls. Actually still have a couple rooms to repair cracks in.

Advertisement