Blown Insulation Over Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Blown Insulation Over Porch

My project involves winterizing what's really a 2-season porch, so I'm going to be Heating and Air conditioning the porch, Insulating above and below and putting in new windows and doors.
Above the porch is the existing beadboard ceiling (see photo). Above the beadboard ceiling is a non-vented space that's connected to the attic but not accessible. In other words it's possible to blow in insulation from the attic through a hole but not possible to crawl in above the attic ceiling (unless I start employing child labor)
Anyway on to my question:

I've read up about different kinds of blown insulation and not sure what to choose:
1) Fiberglass. Have read this absorbs moisture and is an irritant.
2) Cellulose. Have read this absorbs moisture too and is possibly a fire hazard.
3) Rockwool. Is an Irritant and has to be installed by a professional.

As this space is isolated I'm not too concerned about irritating fibres being up there but I am concerned about moisture and mold as the area isn't vented. I'd prefer to not tear down the beadboard to install a vapor barrier. I'd also like to get R40 to R60 values in the ceiling if possible.

Can anyone recommend what's best for this application for a competent DIY-er?
Attached Thumbnails
Blown Insulation Over Porch-porch_ceiling_1.jpg  

Advertisement

pankaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Looks like that ceiling follows the roof joists? or at least it is vaulted, how much room is there,

Is there any vapor barrier?
Have you air sealed the space between where you want to heat and the attic above it?
I would suggest getting vents in

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #3

The photo may be a bit misleading - the beadboard ceiling is flat and above there's about maybe 3 or 4 feed of space. So no vaulting.
There's no vapor barrier at present, the ceiling has been in there probably since the house was built (1920s) or at least for a long time. I haven't done any air sealing or anything to the porch ceiling at all.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Experienced

You might want to consider either cutting a hatch in the ceiling, or in the adjacent attic to access above the ceiling to perform the job correctly.

No sense going through the exercise of insulating and then having a real problem with condensation.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

With 3-4ft of space, there's no reason you can't get in there and do the work. Lay a 6 mil plastictis betwween the rafters and put in the insulation you want.Rockwool and cellulose are both better them fiberglass.
As previosly mentioned, install vents. If it's connect to the attic you can install soffit vents and an attic fan to draw in the cooler air.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #6

Getting in above the porch is a bit of a bear. The attic is finished with drywall and insulation, so to get in above the ceiling I have to tear out the drywall, insulation and anything else in the way just to be able to crawl in.

If putting in vents and a vapor barrier is required, It'll probably be easier to tear down the beadboard ceiling and do everything from below, the re-drywall the ceiling. Wanted to avoid this, but the job has to be done properly.

Thanks for the advice
Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaek View Post
Getting in above the porch is a bit of a bear. The attic is finished with drywall and insulation, so to get in above the ceiling I have to tear out the drywall, insulation and anything else in the way just to be able to crawl in.

If putting in vents and a vapor barrier is required, It'll probably be easier to tear down the beadboard ceiling and do everything from below, the re-drywall the ceiling. Wanted to avoid this, but the job has to be done properly.

Thanks for the advice
Why don't you just frame in a access hatch, instead of removing the whole thing, once framed in, painted white you would hardly notice it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

Good plan, I'll check out that, as long as I'm not too big to fit between the rafters it should work ok.

Do you think Cellulose or rockwool would work best?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Experienced

Cellulose is the favoured here, I know the big box stores even rent the equipment to blow it in. Once you get the venting sorted out.

Mark

Advertisement