Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Blow in insulation. Identify asbestos. 30s-50s

I am working on a house that is said to be "built" in the mid 50s. I know for a fact that the house was moved here so I think it might have been built previous and the county recorded it as 50s when it was placed. In any case, I am working in the attic and the insulation definitely is NOT fiberglass. Act very much like shreaded cardboard if you ask me. particles become airborn very easy. It is light brown just like cardboard. It does not really cling together but rather just acts more like cellulose. Just clumpy.

Is there a good way to tell if it contains asbestos and how much exposure do you need to have major health problems?

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I'm hardly an expert, but here is what I know;

All the asbestos I've seen has been gray. It has also all been in sheet form, wrapped tightly around pipes, or in old brake pads.

Asbestos is like cigarette smoke. even a little does some damage, but nobody knows how much it would take for any particular person to develope cancer. speaking of smoking, you are at a much greater risk if you are around it and you smoke, think 5% + 5% = 35%

The particles are incredibly small, but even a regular mask would probably help some. a wet filter would probably help more than a dry one.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Google " vermiculite " and see if it looks like what you are dealing with.

If so, then you should have it tested before stirring any more particulates up. There are numerous companies that do asbestos testing and they will tell you how to take a sample.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 516

it IS found in many products from that era, drywall,insulation,linoleum, plaster,stucco as a short example. Point is you wont know what it is till you send a sample to a asbestos lab and have it tested. no shortcuts to that.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote