Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #1

Share |

Blow in insulation

I have a 105 year old house. Want to insulate walls. Dont want to tear off siding plus its cold outside right now. How would I go about this. I'm thinking just take a 2 or 3 inch hole saw drill hole at top of wall insert the hose and fill it up. Do they have a special attachment to reduce the size of the hose to do this?

Kurt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #2

Blow in insulation

Don't know about attachments but the machines you can rent come with everything you need; however first, you may want to make sure there are no fire-blocks in the walls so you don't end up insulating only half a wall..

A fire-block is a horizontal framing block placed between the studs at about half way up, to keep the studs from wobbling and for fire reasons too. In the days when you house was built, they may not have had to put any - but check just in case there isn't some blockage that prevents the blown-in insulation from getting all the way down.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #3

Blow in insulation

They blew insulation into our house. They put 1" holes near the tops of the bays, and filled them up, then had plastic plugs.

It probably worked well for a while. I've finally gotten rid of it all. It had settled. Some bays were only half full when I opened them up. Also the house (probably yours too) has a lot of diagonal bracing, and there was never any insulation below the bracing. I think they just didn't realize it was in there.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Blow in insulation

Check out the machine before you go drilling any holes. You may find they have a recommended hole size and you may be able to get a ready made plug to fill in afterwards. Pay attention to the amount of height recommended for a single hole too. You may need two holes for each 8' high cavity, dividing the space in half. Firestops will be between stories if they exist at all.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #5

Blow in insulation

http://books.google.com/books?ei=Vu8...Books&as_brr=3
Enjoy!

Be safe, Gary